Connoisseurs Export Stout advice ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maestrotee

Reaction score
I'm going to my homebrew store tomorrow for some supplies. I am making this export stout kit (1.8 kg, 40 pint) and I want it to be super (I love a good stout anyway). First step, throw out the instructions. Can anyone help me with some specifics for the following steps? What kind of extract I should pick up? Maybe some interesting additions? I currently have juniper, coriander, sweet orange peel, and cinnamon sticks on hand. What SG should I be shooting for when pitching, and then when it is time to bottle? How much priming corn sugar should I add to the bottling bucket when ready to bottle?

Although it sounds like this is my first batch, it is probably my 5th or 6th, but so far, it has always feelt like I am second guessing myself, with no expert advice. I even have Palmer's book, and still that I have questions and insecurities with the process. Anyhow, any tips you can give would be super! I am going to brew tomorrow night if all goes well.

If it's easier, maybe someone could just come over and make a night of it. lol :mug:

Liquirice or chicory root are sometimes added to stouts. Can make for an interesting addition. of the spices you list, I would stay away from them all except perhaps Juniper; that could make for an interesting twist to the traditional finnish sahti style, if you're feeling adventurous.

But beyond that, I can't help much with this information. The manufacturer's site doesn't tell me anything about the kit; is it just a syrup that you dilute with water and ferment? If so, are you thinking of supplementing it with more malt extract to make it stronger? Or are you willing to use specialty grains as well? Also, the listed OG for this kit is in the low 40's. That will make a fairly light stout - sort of irish style, not one of the big, thick ones. Think 4% ABV rather than 12%....again, what are you going for here?

I like the liquirice, chicory root ideas. The instructions say to bring 3.5 litres to a boil, add contents of can plus 2.2 lbs of brewing sugar and boiling water to firmenter. Top off to 5 gal, pitch yeast, blah, blah. You get the picture. I have been in other thread and received some advice about not using the brewing sugar (I assume that means corn sugar?) but substitute with LME or DME. That's what I was wondering and mostly want to pick up while I'm there, a substitute for the sugar.

Yeah, corn sugar will give a very light-bodied beer with little malt flavor. I would replace it with DME, but bear in mind that while corn sugar ferments completely, DME only ferments about 75% of the way. So the final brew will be sweeter and have less alcohol if you add 2.2 lbs of that instead. It will also have a more malty, less dry flavor. For still more malt flavor, get amber DME instead of pale; this is a black beer anyways, it won't change the color.
2.7 lbs of DME will give roughly the same alcohol content in the end, and a beer that is more sweet and robust. If you want an easy-drinking beer, I would go with corn sugar. But if you want a more robust, flavorful beer, go with pale or even amber DME.
Also, consider getting a dry yeast packet. You'll know better what exactly to expect and do if you know what strain you're using, rather than a generic kit yeast. Safale US-05 and S-04 are both good choices, as is Nottingham.

I'm going to my homebrew store tomorrow for some supplies. I am making this export stout kit (1.8 kg, 40 pint) and I want it to be super (I love a good stout anyway). First step, throw out the instructions.

Although it sounds like this is my first batch, it is probably my 5th or 6th, but so far, it has always feelt like I am second guessing myself, with no expert advice. I even have Palmer's book, and still that I have questions and insecurities with the process. Anyhow, any tips you can give would be super! I am going to brew tomorrow night if all goes well.

If it's easier, maybe someone could just come over and make a night of it. lol :mug:

Why throw out the instructions? Your instructions should include round-about estimates for IG, RG (if secondary is used), and FG. It is time to bottle when you hit close to your FG estimate (as per the instructions).

I personally prime with DME instead of sugar...but that is just me - I think it is generally good practice to avoid using corn sugar (again, just my opinion...many pro brewers use corn sugar). A heaping cup of DME always worked for me in my stout (boiled before adding to the bottling bucket of course). It takes a little longer to carbonate the bottles if you use DME.

Some of your questions are difficult to answer. What style/type/flavor of stout are you looking for in the finished product - what will make it "super" in your opinion? Your kit is an export stout...but you want something else from the kit? Why not buy a different kit if you don't want the export stout? You can add a plethora of different roasted barleys, crystal malts, unmalted adjunct grains...etc. to change the character of your beer...but you kind of need a flavor/character profile in mind before you begin.

I don't want to sound snarky here, but if you are asking what additional extract to purchase, you may want to stick with the instructions:eek:.

"What SG should I be shooting for when pitching, and then when it is time to bottle? How much priming corn sugar should I add to the bottling bucket when ready to bottle?" All of these questions should be answered in your instructions. Unless you mean: when I add more/different extracts, how much will it affect my IG?

You will probably have insecurities about brewing for a while - we all did at first...shake it off man!! Not that much difficulty involved, and you will be an "expert" (whatever that means:)) before long. Keep reading and studying the art.:mug:

My suggestion: don't change too many things all at once - adding extract, adjuncts...etc. Make the first batch as per the instructions, then pick one (maybe two) ingredients to experiment with during the next batch. This will help you define for yourself what you want out of your stout.

Good Luck!!
PikledBill

As there is a thread running about adjusting a stout kit, we have a tiny question too! If we want our stout to have a stronger coffee flavor, should we just add a few shots of espresso to the wort? Or isn't that how it works?

p.s. sorry for using your thread for our question >.<

I like some oats, mainly for the mouthfeel. May be difficult with an all extract recipe.

I really like a strong coffee stout, to Tomerwt, I add the coffee at bottling

some other possibilities:
Ginger
Cinnamon
Allspice
Nutmeg
Vanilla
Sour cherries
Bourbon
Spiced Rum
Cognac
Brandy
Schnapps

Thanks for the replies! I know the questions were vague and maybe difficult to answer. The amber DME and the yeast suggestions were some of the ideas I was looking for. And HOLY SMOKES, BATMAN, I love coffee! I think I will try a little of that and some spiced rum. Wow! Those sound great! Do you just add coffee to taste? Same with the rum? Would you highly recommend it be cold brewed? Has anyone ever tried to just add some ground to the boil? Just curious. Thanks!

Yes I have, I found coffee boiled in the wort gave too much of the acidic side. Just my experience. Mine is not cold brewed, but can see some advantages to it. Oil from beans will affect head and retention so I have stayed away since throwing some cracked beans in muslin in a keg.

Everything to taste.

Back