Connecticut - Finding Good Fresh Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggieactuary

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a cider mill in Connecticut or Western Massachusetts that has unpreserved, unpasteurized fresh cider?

Thanks.

B.F. Clyde's Cider Mill
129 N Stonington Rd
Old Mystic, CT 06355

The oldest steam powered cider mill in the US. plus they sell their own hard ciders most are more apple wines than cider (and high octane to boot)... so go on a weekday/saturday, so you can buy some to enjoy while you make your own.

Also

Beardsley's Cider Mill
278 Leavenworth Road,
Shelton, CT 06484

They will even fill up your carboy, barrel or brew bucket directly with fresh unpasteurized cider. Plus they have the best apple donuts in the world!

Enjoy!

Beardsley's fills directly... but if their busy, you may have to drop it off and pickup later.
not sure about Clyde's... give em a call.

I ran across something on the internet saying that Beardsley had a small quantity of actual cider varieties. I plan to buy some juice from them next month.

I was told that they can bypass the UV treatment for those of us who are fermenting ...

It might be a bit of a drive for you, but I'd suggest Pine Hill Orchards in Colrain, MA on November 5-6.

That's Cider Day weekend. www.ciderday.org It's a weekend devoted to everything apple with most of it dedicated to the fermented apple. There are seminars, tastings, etc. It's a great time.

Anyway, Pine Hill presses three varieties of cider specifically for fermentation to coincide with Cider Day. Each tank is 600-800 gallons with a gas pump type nozzle on it. They will sell it in gallon jugs, but most people bring carboys, barrels, and such. They post the blends of each cider and let you taste them all. The blends are different every year. They usually use some heirloom varieties that you don't get elsewhere, such as Baldwin, Dabinett, Reine de Pomme, Roxbury Russett, etc. Prices are quite reasonable.

Back