conical troubles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reltuc

Reaction score
hey all,

got a fastferment 7.9gal conical for christmas and my batch is just about ready to be bottled. i'm somewhat bummed because the majority of the yeast collected on the sides of the conical rather than falling to the bottom of the collection ball.

my question:

would my beer still ferment-out if I were to rehydrate the yeast, place it into the collection ball, and then 'pitch' the wort on top of it? i'd definitley aerate the wort after adding it, but i wasn't sure if this would work.

any input would be awesome :rockin:

Maybe, but it would probably be better to put half of the wort in, pitch the yeast and then add the remaining half so the yeast got mixed in really well.
Can you tell if the collection ball is full/partially full?
Maybe add a photo?
Perhaps try a few more batches with different yeasts and see if they settle out differently?

low oxygen brewers add the wort to the yeast then aerate, so that should not be an issue. I do that in my conical - but i doubt that will solve the issue - when you aerate that will mix up the yeast (and you want a strong aeration) and once fermentation starts, that too will lift the yeast and everything else off the bottom.

There is another thread that asked about the yeast gathering in the side with their fast ferment and the answer was to tap the fermenter to free it from the sides and fall to the bottom

low oxygen brewers add the wort to the yeast then aerate, so that should not be an issue. I do that in my conical - but i doubt that will solve the issue - when you aerate that will mix up the yeast (and you want a strong aeration) and once fermentation starts, that too will lift the yeast and everything else off the bottom.

There is another thread that asked about the yeast gathering in the side with their fast ferment and the answer was to tap the fermenter to free it from the sides and fall to the bottom

saw that thread and attempted, but the yeast was caked on. definitely hit it harder than a tap too, haha.

bottled today and it was simply awful with how much yeast clogged the conical, so i'll for sure try to pitch wort onto the yeast in the collection ball from the get-go next batch.

thanks for the info guys

Guy at work said his does this because the hole on the valve plugs up. He said he pokes it down with a sanitized poker

Guy at work said his does this because the hole on the valve plugs up. He said he pokes it down with a sanitized poker

that's exactly what happened, way too much trub was left over from the boil and the entire valve was clogged. decently bummed by this, will have to run the wort through a strainer next batch. :mug:

He talked me into getting the craft a brew conical. I started first batch last night. I will see how it does.

Back