Conical size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fhhobbies

Reaction score
Trying to decide on conicals to get, my brewery will do 10 and 15 gal batches. I really like the look and product of the 17gal SS Brewtech unit, im just thinking there wont be enough headspace there for 15 gal batches, thoughts? I dont mind waiting for them to be in stock.

Brewhemoth is another (albeit a bit more expensive) option. It is also pressurizable to something like 100psi so you can do closed system pressurized fermentation in them which is something you can't do in the ssbrewtech, or most conicals for that matter. I have two and so far I am loving them.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/closed-system-pressurized-fermentation-technique-44344/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/brewhemoth-conicals-211245/

The ssbrewtech conicals look nice enough, and obviously their price is very attractive and I may wind up with a few BUT if you've been following the brewbucket thread and the chronical thread some quality control issues have started to pop up a bit too frequent for my liking. Their customer service does seem pretty good so that's a plus, I'm gonna continue to lurk and see how these new qc problems get addressed before I pull the trigger on one though. Just my .02.

As far as not enough head space it will definitely be a tight squeeze, I think some ferm cap s once the krausen starts to form would eliminate the problem though.

Ya i saw those, does the small 4" opening make it a pain to clean? I also cant get over those legs haha.

You can clean them without a cip system but most people eventually go that route, adds more expense (200 or less) but in the end it saves you time and is another cool gizmo to have.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/brewhemoth-conical-clean-place-cip-systems-299346/

As for the legs I like that they are adjustable, I'm sure if you wanted permanent legs it could be done for a fee since all of their conicals are made to order.

Nothing wrong with well made Chinese conicals but another plus (imo) for brewhemoth is they are made in the USA.

I cannot vouch for the other options but I have been very happy with my brewhemoth. I have fermented batches form 5 to 20 gallons in it with no problem.

To me the biggest issue with fermentation is not the kind of vessel but temp management. You can have a shinny conical but without being able to control the temp you are not really improving on your brewing. Some conical need to be kept in a fridge/freezer. The Brewhemoths can use an internal coil to maintain temps. That is the first reason why I went with them.

There are many other good choices out there, just make sure you have a plan of how to control temps before you buy. You may spend more in the long run if you do not.

Well I decided to try an ss Brewtec 1/2bbl to get me going but I think I'm going to save for a couple jacketed Brewershardware ones with a glycol chiller, I'll keep the Brewtec for simple beers. It's a nice unit though, no complaints for the price. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408106839.418864.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back