Confession Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another confession...

I recently bought a false bottom for my 10 gallon Igloo mashtun to replace a torpedo screen. Got it all plumbed in nice & pretty with the new stainless ball-valve & silicone tubing, then took a small piece of the leftover silicone tubing and made a pickup tube for it. (I don't like wasting wort.) I put it all together & took it to the bathtub and filled it with ~3 gallons of water to make sure I got the length of the pickup tube right. Opened the valve, water flowed, heavenly music played. I even pressed on it some and it still worked.

Come brewday, I put it all together and I can't wait till the runoff to see how well it works. I dough in, stir well and wait through the 60 minute mash. I grab my pitcher to vorlauf, open the valve, and to my disappointment, not a damn thing comes out! I couldn't even blow back through the runoff tube! Not knowing if it's a stuck mash or what, right now I think I'm really screwed. After I calmed down some, I grabbed my bottling bucket and poured the whole 10 lbs grain + 3.8 gallons of 153F liquid into it. I pulled out that damn pickup tube then dumped the whole mess back into the tun, vorlaufed and drained it. Not to be outdone by a stupid piece of silicone tubing, while the sparge water was heating, I trimmed the pickup tube and reinstalled it after transferring the mash, yet again, to the bottling bucket and back. The sparge went without incident, and my efficiency was way better than I've ever gotten with that setup! The runoff was very clear as well.

Reflecting back on it later, I didn't allow for the fact that 10 lbs of grain & 3.4 gallons of water exerts a lot more downward pressure on the false bottom than just 3 gallons of water and a human pressing on it. Lesson learned. I have a more efficient system to show for it though. And 5 gallons of Irish Red!

I'm addicted to craigslist.

My brew partner and I have 19 kegs between the 2 of us. I don't NEED any more, but just made a deal to pick up 3 for $100. Can't pass up a deal.

19 was my peak back when they were $15-25 each. It is a good number.

I also peaked at 19...I'll never get those years back, again...

19? that's so cute, guys.

VdnRYgQ.jpg

I never pay more than $25 a keg. Often times less. Except for the 3 gal kegs. Those were a little more. I had 35 of the three gallons at one time. I'm at 16 now. I have at least 40 more rubber top ball kegs in the basement and several more 1/4 slims than what's in that pix. I bought like 27 ball kegs at one time from a kombucha place for $5/ea. I got as many as I could fit in my Volvo and went back for more. I've had over 100 at one time. All acquired from CL to resell. I paid my mortgage for 6 months while unemployed just from buying/selling gear. It's also how I paid for all the parts for my insane 60a BCS 20gal boilermaker all electric brewery. I've made money with home brewing.

I wish I was down to only 19. That would mean all of these were sold and I'd have money to build a shed.

Attachments

• 2PlDM90.jpg
    2PlDM90.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 311
  • Ki0JMaRh.jpg
    Ki0JMaRh.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 314
  • gKW9aMbh.jpg
    gKW9aMbh.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 302
From the "Oh, Crap!" department...

When buying grains for a batch, I generally use a leftover 55lb grain sack from the LHBS instead of the plastic garbage bags they have- I just don't trust a garbage bag to hold up with 12 - 15 lbs of grain and not break.

One day on my way to the brew store I get my grain sack out of the garage and open it up to shake it out- I'd been using it for a while and didn't want any old grain in there. To my horror, there were several mouse turds in it! Needless to say, I chucked it and got a new one. From now on, it gets rolled up and put in a bucket with the lid on tight! I also check it first to make sure there's only air & grain dust in it before use.

Just a suggestion, but why not just use the bucket with the lid? I have shown up at my lhbs with half a dozen buckets and lids for different recipes before. All the grains for a recipe get put in a bucket and marked with a post it. I just grind my grain right into my own bucket and throw the lid on. Works great!

:mug:

I kegged a Citrus Summer Ale a few days ago. Forgot to purge the air out when I put 30lbs of CO on it.... Frack.

Just a suggestion, but why not just use the bucket with the lid? I have shown up at my lhbs with half a dozen buckets and lids for different recipes before. All the grains for a recipe get put in a bucket and marked with a post it. I just grind my grain right into my own bucket and throw the lid on. Works great!

:mug:

Oh, no real reason I guess. I just started using their empty grain bags because they were there and handy. Good idea though, I might have to borrow it! :rockin:

I haven't once remembered to pour priming sugar in the bottling bucket before I rack . I always have to pour it in and stir later once i remember. Sometimes I have to dump a few bottles back in the bucket by the time I remember. I think this week while bottling, I will do it right. Probably not though.

I haven't once remembered to pour priming sugar in the bottling bucket before I rack . I always have to pour it in and stir later once i remember. Sometimes I have to dump a few bottles back in the bucket by the time I remember. I think this week while bottling, I will do it right. Probably not though.

Tape a big, coloured square of paper on the bottling bucket that says "Put Sugar In Me, Please"

I screwed up my OG of my first all grain batch by measuring it at almost 28c and added a pound of sugar because I thought my efficiency was really bad.... Figured afterward I was spot on instead.

The beer turned out okay though...

I am an honest believer that there are only two types of beer,
1. beer that tastes good and gets you drunk.
2. beer that tastes like crap and gets you drunk.

I am an honest believer that there are only two types of beer,
1. beer that tastes good and gets you drunk.
2. beer that tastes like crap and gets you drunk.

You never had a beer that tastes like crap and doesn't get you drunk?!

That's what happens when you go to the liquor looking for a fix, say "I want to try something new!," and go home with a box of non-alc... sucks. :mad:

You never had a beer that tastes like crap and doesn't get you drunk?!

That's what happens when you go to the liquor looking for a fix, say "I want to try something new!," and go home with a box of non-alc... sucks. :mad:

I tried the Dog Fish Head gluten free last month just cause I had read about gluten free beers. Thought I'd try something new and didn't like it, so didn't drink the other 3. The next day I had the runs. Couple weeks later tried another one, still didn't like it and had the runs again.

I guess that would be more like "funny things that happen to you because of beer"!!

I tried the Dog Fish Head gluten free last month just cause I had read about gluten free beers. Thought I'd try something new and didn't like it, so didn't drink the other 3. The next day I had the runs. Couple weeks later tried another one, still didn't like it and had the runs again.

I guess that would be more like "funny things that happen to you because of beer"!!

Would that make you intolerant of gluten intolerance or gluten dependant? :confused:

Lol that sucks. I was at a buddys house and was drinking a stout of his. Good stuff. Had about three or four glasses, then asked him the ingredients. Amongst all the other stuff, He tells me there was about a pound of lactose in it. Given the fact that I'm lactose intolerant, it made for a very bad morning after...

Lol that sucks. I was at a buddys house and was drinking a stout of his. Good stuff. Had about three or four glasses, then asked him the ingredients. Amongst all the other stuff, He tells me there was about a pound of lactose in it. Given the fact that I'm lactose intolerant, it made for a very bad morning after...

Hahaha that's rough, but certainly hilarious.

I think we can just move the funny things overheard about beer to this thread.

You must be Super Dude's alter-ego :mug:

I have a 15 gallon blonde that went bad from the start sitting in my lager fridge for the last 6 months....

Why'd it go bad?

Lame reason, I forgot to make starter, then had to wait 24 hours to pitch it. Somewhere in that short period of time it got a little infection. I transfer everything in a close loop too. Nothing super noticeable till week 2, when it started to taste sour.

I used to brew in Malaysia (illegal because of sharia law) and my Muslim maids would clean up my mess. I paid them well. But yes, they will go to hell now. Also had one of them making me bacon when I could get it.

I used to brew in Malaysia (illegal because of sharia law) and my Muslim maids would clean up my mess. I paid them well. But yes, they will go to hell now. Also had one of them making me bacon when I could get it.

I believe they have protection against being tricked into eating pork, or I suppose cleaning the devil's juice.

um I can wait 3 weeks for my beer to get to bottles but cant wait more than 3 days (sometimes 0 days) before I crack a bottle.

I bite the dry yeast packet with my teeth without sanitizing my mouth. :) always have

I really hate all the cleaning and sanitizing to bottle and can't afford a keg setup so I haven't been bottling . I have cut way back on my beer drinking so I don't run out of what I have and I have 2. 5 gallon batches that have been done but are"ageing?" Kind of . Also I had Gave out and watched eat Pork Rinds to Iraqis I didn't like during the war.

I've been brewing for a year now, but I only turned 20 a couple months ago. I actually moved away from home just to support by obsession with beer. Brewing is my life. It consumes all of my free time and thoughts with writing recipes, sanitizing everything, reading, etc. I currently have 3 active carboys and can't wait to bottle them all! :mug:

I've been brewing for a year now, but I only turned 20 a couple months ago. I actually moved away from home just to support by obsession with beer. Brewing is my life. It consumes all of my free time and thoughts with writing recipes, sanitizing everything, reading, etc. I currently have 3 active carboys and can't wait to bottle them all! :mug:

Banishment coming in 3.. 2.. 1..

Don't say you're under 21 on HBT, unless you want to be like Gary_Oak.

My confessions -

I don't chill my wort anymore. I just don't see the point. I use a water bath inside of a chest freezer, so I can always get it down to temp in 4 hours or so.

I strongly dislike high ABV beer - used to be infatuated with them until every tap on my kegerator was 8%+. Never again will that happen.

As scientific as I like to make it seem, I'm coming to realize a lot has to go haywire for your beer to be horrible. But I like telling myself that I do all these special things or use these awesome $100 gadgets to make better beer than you. For the most part its not true though.

Slippery slope here. This is a very fun hobby, but you are young person who needs more than a hobby. Either make this a career, or put it in perspective as "just a hobby." The fact that you are passionate about something (anything), puts you ahead of most. My unsolicited advice: Just make sure your passion matches up with your goals for the future.

Let us know what you're up to in a year, age 21.

Back