Confession Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't a diffusion stone and an oxygen tank a form of aeration?

Yes. You're talking pure O2 with a stone vs. air which consists of about 21% oxygen.

From my understanding, it depends on wort strength and yeast strain when it comes to the need to aerate and 90% of the time aerating by shaking is sufficient.

I have never aerated and never will!

How do you add oxygen?
Isn't a diffusion stone and an oxygen tank a form of aeration?
revkhrR.jpg

Physiology. to expose (a medium or tissue) to air, as in the oxygenation of the blood in respiration.

He said he didn't aerate. I don't know what there is to miss. I'd expect someone with Biochemistry experience to understand aeration as the act of adding oxygen to a substance. I guess breathing isn't aeration since it isn't using pure O2.

Physiology. to expose (a medium or tissue) to air, as in the oxygenation of the blood in respiration.

He said he didn't aerate. I don't know what there is to miss. I'd expect someone with Biochemistry experience to understand aeration as the act of adding oxygen to a substance. I guess breathing isn't aeration since it isn't using pure O2.

that-word-inigo-montoya-word-think-means-princess-bride-mand-demotivational-poster-1260739585.jpg

What does aerate mean?

It means to introduce a gas into a mixture or solution, but that's not the point....

Q:
How do you add oxygen?

A:
A stone and a small oxygen tank. Not worth the effort in my opinion. Shake your carboy if you really feel the need to air rate.

jimmykx250 was answering your question literally...not with a description of his brewing practice! As per the original Confession:

I have never aerated and never will!

I was hoping I wouldn't have to resort to explanations.... Sorry for the confusion. :mug:

It means to introduce a gas into a mixture or solution, but that's not the point....

Actually it IS the point. Jimmy said he didn't aerate. You say that aerating means to add a gas to a solution. He should have said he doesn't shake the Fermentation vessel to add oxygen. He is adding gas to a solution. THIS was MY point. His confession would only make sense if he used olive oil or something instead of adding a gas to a solution.

Actually it IS the point. Jimmy said he didn't aerate. You say that aerating means to add a gas to a solution. He should have said he doesn't shake the Fermentation vessel to add oxygen. He is adding gas to a solution. THIS was MY point. His confession would only make sense if he used olive oil or something instead of adding a gas to a solution.

Ok, you win. Back to the Confessions.

I confess I wish I never got involved in this discussion...

My latest confession - when I see biochemedic's avatar in my peripheral vision, it looks like a green Jim Morrison.

Im glad I bailed on this one. I thought my post was pretty clear but like anything else subject to interpretation- right?

I must Confess I enjoy beer for breakfast.....it part of the brewing hobby

I fail the D-rest. I am usually too busy RDWHAHBing to think about taking mid ferment gravity samples, then miss the target (20%?) remaining gravity and pull the fermenter from the chamber. I try and make up for it by letting it warm up after it hits FG for a week or two, but I don't think it's quite as effective.

I confess that I always brew with the same friend. I always go to the LHBS myself, I do all of the work on brew day, I ferment in my fridge, I fill his keg for him and deliver it to his house, he pays me for ingredients. It's either that or brew alone .

Are you me? Am I you?

I confess that I always brew with the same friend. I always go to the LHBS myself, I do all of the work on brew day, I ferment in my fridge, I fill his keg for him and deliver it to his house, he pays me for ingredients. It's either that or brew alone .

currently fighting to get my similar friend to put in more effort. He's helpful on brew day, and with bottling. It's the endless hours and hours of love and dedication I do in researching, preparing, and shopping that I want him to do as well.

And then there's the - "I can't brew this weekend... but probably next weekend".

currently fighting to get my similar friend to put in more effort. He's helpful on brew day, and with bottling. It's the endless hours and hours of love and dedication I do in researching, preparing, and shopping that I want him to do as well.

And then there's the - "I can't brew this weekend... but probably next weekend".

Brew alone. It's the only way.

I often neglect to take a second FG reading. If it is in range, has been in the fermenter for an acceptable amount of time and the sample tastes good, I start to cold crash.

Less risky when you keg though, but I am sure I would end up with a more repeatable product if I made sure the darn stuff was done cooking every time.

I slacked off with yeast freshness and used liquid yeast that was expiring in a month. Ruined 2 recent batches, extremely undrinkable and disappointing. Should have payed more attention to the yeast freshness.

I often neglect to take a second FG reading. If it is in range, has been in the fermenter for an acceptable amount of time and the sample tastes good, I start to cold crash.

I'm with you there, man.

I brew 2-2.5 gallon batches, so I'd rather have more in the bottles at the end than taking 2-3 FG readings and have 2 bottles less. I take a SG reading on about day 12 or 13 of fermentation,and if it's about where the recipe says it is, I go ahead and cold-crash then bottle.

Only one brew, a barley-wine, took more than 3 weeks total to get bottled. I let it stay in the fermenter an extra week (20 days total) before dry-hopping for 5 days & CCing for 3.

FTR - I checked my Irish red after 11 days, FG was estimated at 1.013, my reading was 1.008 - thanks, Nottingham! IDK if that will be too dry or what. It's in the fridge now, gonna bottle tonight. Total of 19 days in the primary (where I do all dry-hopping & cold-crashing).

I brew alone.

These are all very good comments lol.
I don't sanitize my counter flow wort chiller. I just run boiling hot wort through it into my fermenter, then I turn on the cold counter flow water after some time. But I do sanitize everything else.

These are all very good comments lol.

I don't sanitize my counter flow wort chiller. I just run boiling hot wort through it into my fermenter, then I turn on the cold counter flow water after some time. But I do sanitize everything else.

That's why I'm ditching my therminator for one. Do that with the plate chiller and you're gunna have some nice mold bubbling out in a few days. No pics, so it's never happened to me, I'm just sayin... [emoji16]

Back