Confession time: would you buy the beer(s) you have brewed in a bar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would order and reorder about 75% of my beers to date. The house porter is about perfect, and I've got an amazing imperial Belgian porter aging now. Frequently, I actually like my beer more than commercial. I hate piney ipas and am F
frequently not thrilled with the one-trick-pony aspect of many American commercial stouts and porter. I really prefer a complex, robust beer---no matter the style. That's really why I got into brewing. To make bolder beer. I finally nailed a great ipa, but it was a sort of kitchen sink endeavor. As of now, I've had the least success with pale ales, but that's because I recently started fixing my mash ph. It made my pale ales really start to shine.

I am with you on the complexity issue, however I want my beer complex but it has to be a balanced homogeneously taste.

Augustiner Helles for instance... or Kronenbourg blanc, Einstök white Ale ...

For my taste many of the Craftbrews are a terrible mixture of ingredients leading to a total failure in terms of "real beer"...

Of the 80 plus brews I have done, 20 or so I feel were better than anything you would get in a bar. 40 were good enough, and 9 were good but I would be disappointed if I got them served in a bar and one has been used mostly for making beer bread.

So, definitely yes, yes, no and definitely no......

Thanks... looks like a pretty solid output :)

If I wouldn't pay for it, I dump it. That's not to say that I would always choose my own beer over every craft brew. There are some Outstanding beers out there. And I have certainly had failed batches, but I dump them. It took me a year to produce any commercial quality brew, but now my standard is summarized in my first sentence, and I very rarely buy and craft beer to bring home.

I am like that, I rather dump stuff, than forcing myself to eat/drink something I don't like!

Thanks for all the honesty here... :)

Certainly ... but less of them. When I buy beer in bars I lie to myself about the calories. When I make my own I know how many calories are in them and therefore I drink less.

lol... I am on a low carb "diet" carbs in my nutrition come from beer, wine or whyskey only :)

easy fix to counting :)

I'd say the majority of my beers I would definately pay good money for at a bar. I've messed up a couple with infection. And there's a couple that at if I were at a bar I might not go back for a second, but I like to try new things.

I prefer my house APA to any of the pale ales readily available. My Kolsch and my alt, I think are closer to style and "better" than any available locally. There's some stouts and wits here that I haven't been able to compete with, but I bet if I spent my time and figured out what I like in those styles and what I don't I could make one I prefer.

I knew this crazy old man that used to say "you know who makes the best bloody marry? Me! 'Cause I know how I like it!" I kind of feel the same way about beer. It's all about knowing what you like.

your last sentence just struck me! yes! I guess that is true for everything I can make myself...

I still have to figure out though how to apply that to brewing :)

I have a Pale Ale I just brewed that would be a big seller. The Irish Red Ale I just kicked would probably not sell as well. I have high hopes for the Vienna Lager that is still lagering now. And the Belgian Blonde I brewed yesterday will be the best I ever brewed. In other words -- there's always that next beer.

haha.. I am nowhere to predict what my brew will come out like :)
I am still and probably will be for many years in the stage of figuring out what I messed up :)

I brew the styles of beers I like to drink. So yes I would buy them in a bar. The question is would I buy a second round of the same thing. Some yes some no. But the same goes for commercial brews I have bought. I've only had one batch I had to choke down/dump. And another expirimental I use for cooking.

my testrun #2 mostly served for rinsing my hair and cooking and some I drank but I would not have payed money to get it.

That's like saying you have a favorite child!? You really do but you'd never admit it... ;)

I love all my children!
:mug:

I can definately see that. But what if you were in Germany and you really wanted an American Pale Ale or an IPA?

almost zero chance for that to happen... when in Germany I get Augustiner and the world is perfect :)

I am very "simple" - If I determine something to be awesome, I do not need to experiment any further...

or quoting Oscar Wilde: my taste is simple, I am always satisfied with the best

That's like saying you have a favorite child!? You really do but you'd never admit it... ;)

I love all my children!
:mug:

I admit it! I don't tell the "others" though... no... I do not have children but Cats ;)

When my son makes a recommendation I almost always like it/love it. He knows my tastes. His preferences are a bit different than mine so we won't always rank them the same.

One of the brewers at a brewpub I used to go to routinely gave me some good tips. Recommendations from most friends, bartenders, etc. I take with a grain of salt. Generally the harder they push the more confident I am that I won't enjoy it.

lol!

I find the general "taste" to be different from where I come from, so that is probably why I dislike most of the "recommended" brews :)

that applies for my dwelling in the USoA only! If I was still in Munich I would order Augstiner!

On the flip of that, I would have been more likely to purchase my beer in a bar during the 4 years I spent in Germany. I actually ramped up my homebrewing due to the poor selection in the area I was in. I did travel a bit and got my fill of beers from different regions. But, in the Rheinland-Pfals area, 9 times out of 10 when you ordered a beer, your options were "Pils oder Weizen".

On the flip of that, I would have been more likely to purchase my beer in a bar during the 4 years I spent in Germany. I actually ramped up my homebrewing due to the poor selection in the area I was in. I did travel a bit and got my fill of beers from different regions. But, in the Rheinland-Pfals area, 9 times out of 10 when you ordered a beer, your options were "Pils oder Weizen".

Bischhoff is the only beer you drink when in Rheinland-Pfalz.

I really do appreciate the variety of beers and beer styles in the US and I have exposed myself to beers I would never have taken notice of other wise - so yes, there is an upside to "No-Augustiner-Country" and thus far I do really have fun brewing and figuring stuff out.

I guess I would have never found my passion for wit beer in Germany since I do not like German Hefeweizen or Kristallweizen at all, however I happen to really like Kronenbourg Blanc and Einstök white Ale.

Boring German that I am, I would have been stuck with my Augustiner :)

Thank you all so much for sharing your thoughts and experience!

<3

Why would I pay for it again when it is already on tap at the house?

Most of what I brew isn't readily available where I live. The recipes I like and have perfected I would order. The early trials, maybe not.

My Stout is finally at a level where yes, I would pay for it in a bar and buy a second in the same sitting.
My latest Pale Ale I would probably ask for a refund, so I don't pass that one out to friends. It's going to sit for a month or 2 and I will see if it gets better.

But I prefer a good Stout, so I have invested a lot more energy in getting it right.

I am with you on the complexity issue, however I want my beer complex but it has to be a balanced homogeneously taste.

Augustiner Helles for instance... or Kronenbourg blanc, Einstök white Ale ...

For my taste many of the Craftbrews are a terrible mixture of ingredients leading to a total failure in terms of "real beer"...

I've had a few of those conundrums. The bacon and toast ale is just horrendous, but I'm letting it age... just in case. However, a few other weird combinations have been great! A hopfenweisse made with lots of hull melon and goldings tastes like strawberry banana heaven. I'm especially proud of the dark ones though. My take on the 888 RIS is one of the best beers I've had. 10% without even a hint of alcohol flavor. Super rich and complex malt profile. I think of it like a picasso. Sometimes the best things take a little thought and understanding. I hate picking up an American stout and feeling like I've tasted everything it has to offer after two sips. English stouts don't have this problem as frequently.

All that said, there are still so so so many brewers that make beautiful masterpieces that I'm envious of. Devil's Backbone is just an hour from my place. They're some incredibly skilled fellas. Danzig Baltic porter is unbelievable.

I would order and reorder about 75% of my beers to date. The house porter is about perfect, and I've got an amazing imperial Belgian porter aging now. Frequently, I actually like my beer more than commercial. I hate piney ipas and am F
frequently not thrilled with the one-trick-pony aspect of many American commercial stouts and porter. I really prefer a complex, robust beer---no matter the style. That's really why I got into brewing. To make bolder beer. I finally nailed a great ipa, but it was a sort of kitchen sink endeavor. As of now, I've had the least success with pale ales, but that's because I recently started fixing my mash ph. It made my pale ales really start to shine.

I think it's interesting that you've come around the the lowly Pale Ale for your reckoning. I always pay attention to the Pale Ale when I'm visiting a new brewery. It often presents the brewers clearest statement about his craft.

If served my Belgian dark strong or brett beer in a bar I would be very happy. Those are the kind of beers I like and I brew them over and over. And I am usually very pleased with the way the turn out.

But if I wanted a Belgian golden strong (non-brett), I would not pick mine if some of my favorite commercial brands were available (at the same price, I am a little cheap).

As for myself, I've brewed 45 batches of beer so far. No wonder my favs are among the last 20 batches as I've dialed in my processes.

Standing out are an Imperial Stout, a Pliny Clone brewed per Vinny's article, a humble American IPA and an American APA per Zainasheff (Brewing Classic Styles) and a Red's Rye PA clone recipe from a friend. Any of those I would reorder at a bar in a heartbeat.

My challenge is to keep pushing myself to brew new things. My tendency is to just rebrew the things I've already brewed that I like.

This, this exactly. I tend to not agree with my so called beer snob friends who want a Raspberry Coffee bourbon barrel aged Imperial dry hopped Stout. That's an exaggeration but I'd much rather have a phenomenal Wit beer or a well done dry Irish stout than any of what I call gimmicky beers.

Okay so with that said yes I would buy 4 of my recipes because I brew them to my tastes, malty, clean, and usually noble hopped. That's my style, I'm trying to brew my perfect beer, my recipes are always similar ie Maris Otter and Nottingham fermented cool while constantly changing the hops, and specialty grains.

I make a snozzberry Coffee bourbon barrel aged Imperial dry hopped Stout that is spectacular!
Hints of coffee, bourbon & Hops really bring the snozzberry out!
I would pay double for a pint of it a bar any day!

I think it's interesting that you've come around the the lowly Pale Ale for your reckoning. I always pay attention to the Pale Ale when I'm visiting a new brewery. It often presents the brewers clearest statement about his craft.

That's often very true, and a great point. However, I'm that one odd brewer who really shines in the malt field. Hops aren't my jam. Especially since my current town has a huge thing for simcoe. I think they're disgusting, so most pale ales here are garbage to me. My favorite local specializes in accessible strange beer. My favorite to date (from Harrisonburg, specifically) is a Belgian chocolate stout from Pale Fire brewing.

Lol! How are the chances for us to meet here in this virtual place! ? Wow :)

I have to admit, I never been there... from what I hear it is awful ;)

I came here from Munich so brewing my own beer is an essential of survival strategy :)

I've heard the same! I heard they don't brew their own beer. Have you checked out Bucks Country Brewey yet? It's just north of D-town off of 611.

I've heard the same! I heard they don't brew their own beer. Have you checked out Bucks Country Brewey yet? It's just north of D-town off of 611.

I was in New Hope at Triumph but disappointed... did not check Bucks County Brewery yet but have been to Free Will.

Will update you when I check out either of theses places :)

I've had a few of those conundrums. The bacon and toast ale is just horrendous, but I'm letting it age... just in case. However, a few other weird combinations have been great! A hopfenweisse made with lots of hull melon and goldings tastes like strawberry banana heaven. I'm especially proud of the dark ones though. My take on the 888 RIS is one of the best beers I've had. 10% without even a hint of alcohol flavor. Super rich and complex malt profile. I think of it like a picasso. Sometimes the best things take a little thought and understanding. I hate picking up an American stout and feeling like I've tasted everything it has to offer after two sips. English stouts don't have this problem as frequently.

All that said, there are still so so so many brewers that make beautiful masterpieces that I'm envious of. Devil's Backbone is just an hour from my place. They're some incredibly skilled fellas. Danzig Baltic porter is unbelievable.

OMG! LOL!

"letting it age" might safe you indeed....

love the Picasso comparison. Not everything "paint on a canvas" is art, and Picasso knew how to draw and paint in a very classical way before he started to go abstract.

I believe that to be true for every "Art". You MUST know the basics and you must master the classic before you are able to experiment and come up with something outstanding...

As for me I hope to figure out and master the basics at some point... that's why I am brewing exactly the same beer over and over again with only slight alteration

As for myself, I've brewed 45 batches of beer so far. No wonder my favs are among the last 20 batches as I've dialed in my processes.

Standing out are an Imperial Stout, a Pliny Clone brewed per Vinny's article, a humble American IPA and an American APA per Zainasheff (Brewing Classic Styles) and a Red's Rye PA clone recipe from a friend. Any of those I would reorder at a bar in a heartbeat.

My challenge is to keep pushing myself to brew new things. My tendency is to just rebrew the things I've already brewed that I like.

I find nothing wrong with brewing the same beer I like over and over again :)

I am obviously a very typical "female beer drinker" as most of my friends like exactly what I like, not too much hops, light, not too much smell of yeast ( a lot of women, me included, do not like the smell of many beers) if spiced, than it must blend in and be complex and full bodied...

I just had New Belgiums Snap Shot from the tap and found it very pleasing.
I absolutely do not like their Fat Tire though...

Did like most of Lost Abbeys witbeers, not a huge fan of porters and stouts so, so I did not like the Serpents Stout BUT I loved their IPA amd to my Knowledge Merry Taj was their first IPA...

so, why am I saying this? I do not see any reason to brew something I wont like anyway.
I will try to make a perfect wit beer, than advance to Lager and maybe... somewhere down the road try to make an IPA I like...

and then there is sour beers I really what to try to make...

This, this exactly. I tend to not agree with my so called beer snob friends who want a Raspberry Coffee bourbon barrel aged Imperial dry hopped Stout. That's an exaggeration but I'd much rather have a phenomenal Wit beer or a well done dry Irish stout than any of what I call gimmicky beers.

Okay so with that said yes I would buy 4 of my recipes because I brew them to my tastes, malty, clean, and usually noble hopped. That's my style, I'm trying to brew my perfect beer, my recipes are always similar ie Maris Otter and Nottingham fermented cool while constantly changing the hops, and specialty grains.

I can sign this! Sounds like my attempt mostly and yes, yes and yes again to the raspberry, barrelaged, coffee... (add 100 other ingredients that come to mind) Porter...

Since a major reason I like to make the styles (or lack of style) I make is their (relative) lack of availability commercially, yes I would buy it in a bar. Find me a Dark Mild, simple malty 30 IBU Pale Ale or Rye/Munich/Special B/Centennial "whatever" beer in a bar I would absolutely pay for it.

Like a couple other posters, 75% of the beer I make is very much made just for my taste so unlikely to be commercially viable. Besides, I do not go to bars much anymore because I would rather have my beer at home hanging out with my dogs than deal with the general public.

If I was unknowingly served one of my beers in a bar, I would like it... but I would think to myself "I would have made this better."

LOL!

Thanks! That was exactly one of the points why I started this thread... are we biased in terms of approving something because we take pride in making it? :)

I was thinking, if I was served my beer, would I think: I can make this better OR would I think: nice, but not nice enough to re-order, while at home I rate the exact same beer "higher"...

OMG! LOL!

"letting it age" might safe you indeed....

love the Picasso comparison. Not everything "paint on a canvas" is art, and Picasso knew how to draw and paint in a very classical way before he started to go abstract.

I believe that to be true for every "Art". You MUST know the basics and you must master the classic before you are able to experiment and come up with something outstanding...

As for me I hope to figure out and master the basics at some point... that's why I am brewing exactly the same beer over and over again with only slight alteration

Also, having a solid base makes it easier to experiment because you have the understanding of what should work and where to start.

Finally, I think I would, but it took awhile to get here. In fact, I find myself enjoying mine and my buddy's homebrews better than most microbrews I pick up. Of course, I'm getting to the point that I can taylor them to my tastes.

I'm prone to be more finicky with my beer than with pub's beers, because mine need to be evolved!

So to respond to the question , i I'd like to buy some of mine at the pub and really enjoy it, others I may prefer to buy something else

I think I would buy almost all of my beers. I have a couple that I thought were less than great but when sharing my beers those two have been other peoples favorites- a chocolate milk stout that I think is too chocolaty and could have had more body and a pale ale brewed with a new hop- Armadillo not Amarillo hops- info found here http://brulosophy.com/2015/12/17/the-hop-chronicles-armadillo/

I think it comes down to we are too critical on our beers versus the general population

I think I would buy almost all of my beers. I have a couple that I thought were less than great but when sharing my beers those two have been other peoples favorites- a chocolate milk stout that I think is too chocolaty and could have had more body and a pale ale brewed with a new hop- Armadillo not Amarillo hops- info found here http://brulosophy.com/2015/12/17/the-hop-chronicles-armadillo/

I think it comes down to we are too critical on our beers versus the general population

or maybe I am so proud of myself, that I drink it, even though I would not touch it, did it come in BMC Bottles ;)

I very much question my perception all the time anyway :)

Really interesting thread. I am a beer drinker that will try anything that I haven't had before in a bar, but when I brew, I brew recipes and styles for me. I would say that about 80% of the beers that I have made, I would buy in a bar, but I have not made the same recipe twice to date. I made a Gingerbread Brown ale that ended up tasting exactly like it was supposed to, but I didn't like it. That was the one beer I brewed for the season and not to my tastes. Anyone who tried it that liked gingerbread thought it was really good, but I wasn't a fan. I also did the Strawberry Alarm Clock recipe that is on here but got diacetyl and struggled to get through that keg.

I made a Peach Habanero Ale last fall that I would drink over almost any pepper beer that I have had, and I have gotten awesome reviews. I plan on making that one again this fall with a few small tweaks.

Back