Cones don't have any aroma?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chello

Reaction score
3rd Year Cascade plant, but first year with cones due to various issues.

However, i am almost ready to harvest and the cones have no apparent aroma. I rub them with my hands and still, nothing?

Is this normal?

No, that's not normal at all! There should be clearly visible yellow glands at the base of the leaves and when you rub them, you should get that on your fingers and hands. When I pick hops, the yellow on them rubs off on my hands and is highly fragrant.

Do you see those yellow glands on the base of the leaves inside the cone?

No glands that i can notice (from the ones i can reach atleast). How long does it take for cones to form before its time to harvest? They have been about 1-2" for about a week now.

No glands that i can notice (from the ones i can reach atleast). How long does it take for cones to form before its time to harvest? They have been about 1-2" for about a week now.

A long time, at least for me! They aren't ready to harvest until the glands are bright yellow, and the leaves on the cones are just starting to die back.

The cones should feel dry and papery, and not spring back well when crushed with your fingers.

Well, i'm gald i asked! So about the same amount of time it takes for that first tomato to start turning? Probably longer, cause i like hops a lot more than i like tomatoes.

Well, i'm gald i asked! So about the same amount of time it takes for that first tomato to start turning? Probably longer, cause i like hops a lot more than i like tomatoes.

It sure seems like quite a while! I have some (small) cones forming now, but I harvest in September. I have no idea about your climate, though!

Back