Conditioning time with flocculant yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewkyBrown

Reaction score
Does a beer made with a highly flocculant yeast need less time to condition/clean up in the primary?

I brewed an IPA with WLP007 and it has dropped crystal clear after 6 days. My gravity reading is 1.012 on consecutive days so
I’m sure it’s finished.

There must be some yeast in suspension but would this smaller amount still be cleaning up by-products or would this beer be ok to keg in a day or two?

You can easily keg it now if you are in a hurry. If the FG has been stable for 3-5 days in a row, then it is finished. I would probably leave it for 9-10 days, but that's just a precaution in case the yeast hasn't cleaned after itself.

With IPAs, you want to keg/bottle and consume as fresh as possible. I never do primary longer than 10-11 days for any Pale ales or IPAs, as there is no need.

Thanks. I’ll probably keg it in a day or so. My main thought was whether flocculant and fast working yeast do clean up quicker than less flocculant types. I guess I’ll find out when I try the beer...

Back