Conditioning Grain Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's when you "moisten" the grain slightly before crushing. It's supposed to keep the husks intact better. Some folks use a spray bottle and just give it a light misting.

I've only tried it a couple of times since I BIAB but when I did do it, I conditioned the entire grain bill.

I tried conditioning my grains once. I use a Corona style mill that shreds the grains more than a roller mill will. So, I saw very little difference and never bothered with that step again. IMO my beers don't suffer anything and wouldn't gain anything by omitting conditioning.

I don't condition specialty grains (crystal, roasted). I grind them after my base malt to clean up the rollers, then add them the last 10 minutes or so of the mash. I use a RIMs system.

Thx...

amd it helps since I brew with a lot of wheat. And so I am not misunderstood I do not condition wheat. :rockin:

I condition all malt...even wheat. not advocating 1 way or the other...just saying.

I think conditioning is one of those optional steps that I choose to do. I just use my spray bottle of warm water....maybe a couple ounces as I stir the grain with my hand.

To each their own....

As noted by another poster - this is what I do. Not saying it is right or required.

I condition all my grains, barely, wheat, oats - everything. 2% water by weight, sprayed on with a spray bottle. Example - 12 lbs * 16 * .02 = number of ounces of water to use. I spray the night before, cover with foil and crush the morning after. So, the grain is not wet.

As noted by another poster - this is what I do. Not saying it is right or required.

I condition all my grains, barely, wheat, oats - everything. 2% water by weight, sprayed on with a spray bottle. Example - 12 lbs * 16 * .02 = number of ounces of water to use. I spray the night before, cover with foil and crush the morning after. So, the grain is not wet.

Very similar to my method. Only I don't go by weight. I spray and stir my grain by hand and when it feels just slightly moist, I put a lid on my bucket and crush the following morning. One side benefit of conditioning that I've noticed, is less flour is produced, so stuck sparges aren't even a thought. I brewed a 50% 2-Row/50% White Wheat the other day. nothing else in the mash (no rice hulls) and was able to pull wort off in a normal fashion. :mug:

Conditioning the grain does two things depending on how long you wait after adding the small amount of water. With only a short wait, that water addition will make the husks tougher so they don't shred as easily which is important in a conventional mash tun but does little else. With a longer wait the moisture will begin to soften the kernels which will make them easier to crush too. This may give you a better crush which will impact your mash efficiency. With grains like wheat or rye that have no husk the short wait probably won't do much but a longer wait will soften these hard kernels so they crush easier and may also cause them to swell a bit which will improve the crush too because these kernels are smaller than barley and will sometimes slip between the roller of the mill without being crush significantly.

Interesting theory RM, I'll take the counterpoint that a longer wait and increased moisture content may make the grain kernel less friable, and it may just squeeze through the mill without breaking and fracturing as much, potentially reducing efficiency. Just a guess, be a complicated little experiment to run. All that said, I have no desire to condition as I'm happy with my corona crush and get reasonable lauter.

I condition before milling. Nothing scientific, I pour a little grain in my bucket, mist it a bit, and stir it around. I mist it just enough to get away from the 'dry straw' feeling it has. I'll usually let it sit for 10-20 minutes before milling.

I'll have to try a longer period next time I brew.

Latest posts

Back