Conditioning/Carbonating in ManCan 128

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j0rdster

j0rdster
Reaction score
New home brewer here, so go easy on me.

I made a small 2-gal batch of Vienna "Lager" with a BrewDemon kit. First, I hate their kits and I'm only gonna use extract kits from the local homebrew supply store because I've had much more predictable and consistent results using them. The fermentation was very quick, lasting only two and a half days before the airlock quit bubbling, then the temp slowly dropped from ~68°F to ~64°, and condensation formed in the airlock tube and fermenter. After a week, I racked the beer to secondary in a glass carboy (which the kit instructions don't call for, but that's what I've done with my 5-gal extract kits).

After five days in secondary, and after noticing a nice mound of yeasty goodness on the bottom, I decided to bottle. I prepared a priming solution according to the calculations from a homebrew website calculator using 1.7 oz of corn sugar for two gallons, and poured that into my conical plastic fermenter (I used it because it has a spigot). I racked the beer into the fermenter, let it cool, then bottled one gallon in four, super cheap, 32-oz plastic bottles. The other gallon went into my ManCan 128, a stainless steel mini "keg" and sealed it WITHOUT the regulating cap. Their website says it's great for conditioning and carbonating but don't provide any definitive instructions. I asked them if pressure would be a cause for worry. They told me no, that the ManCan is designed to hold up to 60 PSI, and that the beer shouldn't get above 30 PSI–hypothetically.

So my question is, because of the super sketchy fermentation, a final gravity reading that was subpar, and plastic bottles that are suuuper hard after just two days, is my ManCan going to explode..? Is it safe to unscrew the cap and replace it with the self-regulating cap that releases at 50 PSI instead. Am I S.O.L.? Do I have some sort of improvised explosive device in my laundry room at the moment?

Please help.

SO I'm curious how this turned out. My guess is you either ended up with bottle bombs or the beer turned out sweet or cidery.

Also curious if you've tried carbing in your mancan. I just got 3 of them for a song and I wanna try them out.

Na Zdrowie!

IMHO anything less than 30 days fermenting is asking for trouble. Just because bubbling has stopped doesn't mean fermentation isn't still taking place.

If you must do less than 30 days, let your hydrometer guide you, not your calendar :)

Since I have a deep pipeline, I have no problem waiting 30 days, although I can remember in the early days waiting anxiously to try my new beer. Then drinking the last spectacular bottles a couple months later and wishing I had them all back to drink again :)

Back