Condition in bucket before kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xalwine

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I just ordered my first kegging setup. 2 kegs with picnic taps and a dual gauge regulator. Here's the issue. I want to do a five gallon brew every week come decent spring weather, that's more than I can keg.

Without getting more kegs can I let my beer condition in a secondary bucket and then transfer to a keg when it becomes available? At most it would be a month or two.

So is this a viable option or should I order more kegs and risk getting the third degree from swmbo for spending more money/taking up more room?

I wouldnt let my beer sit in a bucket for two months. Just buy some more kegs. Are they cornelius kegs? Check craigslist for used cornies. We get them here in WA for 25-30 bucks.

No real need to transfer to a second vessel. You can leave it in the original (primary bucket) for the month or two (or more) till you free up a keg. See how it works out for you. You can then see what other stuff you might need.

No real need to transfer to a second vessel. You can leave it in the original (primary bucket) for the month or two (or more) till you free up a keg. See how it works out for you. You can then see what other stuff you might need.

I might do this. I just planned on racking to a secondary so that it would help reduce sediment when I transfer to a keg. I sanitize everything like crazy so I'm not worried about infections or spoiling my beer.

Really the main thing is space. I can stack my buckets in a corner to let them condition and age. I cant stack my kegs.

My biggest concern however, Will letting these buckets sit in my garage (can get up to like 80) be a problem with aging? I don't want it to spoil before I drink it.

You need to get more than 2 kegs, period.
People on here, I'd guess, average 2 to 8 kegs per tap.
I have about 10 kegs for my 2 tap kegerator:
two are on being dispensed w/ Co2,
one is at a friends in use (we did a 10g brew day & he took home his share),
one has only 5 pints left, so i pulled it from kegerator to get others going,
one is full & "on deck",
and three are empty but i have 3 beers in primary.

cheers!

You need to get more than 2 kegs, period.
People on here, I'd guess, average 2 to 8 kegs per tap.
I have about 10 kegs for my 2 tap kegerator:
two are on being dispensed w/ Co2,
one is at a friends in use (we did a 10g brew day & he took home his share),
one has only 5 pints left, so i pulled it from kegerator to get others going,
one is full & "on deck",
and three are empty but i have 3 beers in primary.

cheers!

I appreciate your enthusiasm. but read what I wrote. I don't have a lot of space for kegs. Down the line, yes I will. But for now I dont. Also Buckets are 3 bucks. Kegs are upwards of 40 with shipping. The highest amount of kegs i could keep at this time would be 4 total. so I could get 2 more, BUT the main question is still at hand. Can I condition in a bucket, rack to keg and force carb and have a drink that isn't green. I'd rather keep the Keg open for a quick aging beverage (I also make a hard lemonade that my wife loves.) then letting something age for 3-6 weeks or longer.

Where do you get buckets for 3 bucks?

Lowes or home depot buckets with a hole drilled in it for airlock or blowoff. But for storing fully fermented beer I'd probably just leave it with a solid lid.

Hey, I did read what you wrote!
"... or should I order more kegs"

/unsubscribe

Well look at that.... I was wrong. I hope you didn't take any sort of harsh tone from my reply. I just don't have the room for 2-8 kegs per tap. I should have specified that i could possibly order 2 more. My apologies.

I do this. And recommend trying it for starters.

Kegs can be stacked at least 2 high. They hav a smaller diameter than a bucket, hence if swmbo has an issue with too many kegs, she will definately not want as many buckets? Sense? Buckets take more floorspace than cornie kegs......... Order more kegs mang.

Lowes or home depot buckets with a hole drilled in it for airlock or blowoff. But for storing fully fermented beer I'd probably just leave it with a solid lid.

Home Depot buckets, you say? I personally wouldn't let my precious beer anywhere near those things. Not all plastics are created equal. I spend a few more bucks on the certified food-grade buckets available from my LHBS or online retailers. For me, the peace of mind is worth it... Lord only knows what kind of recycled plastics or potentially questionable release agents they use in manufacturing those things, not to mention all the orange dye!

That said, I have no reason to think that your beer would suffer from spending a little extra time in a secondary fermentation vessel of adequate quality. Defining 'adequate' is a matter of personal opinion. In my opinion, Homer buckets don't qualify. Now if you need a vessel for mixing up some grout, on the other hand...

As for buying more kegs, remember: it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. :mug:

RensBerserker said:
Home Depot buckets, you say? I personally wouldn't let my precious beer anywhere near those things. Not all plastics are created equal. I spend a few more bucks on the certified food-grade buckets available from my LHBS or online retailers. For me, the peace of mind is worth it... Lord only knows what kind of recycled plastics or potentially questionable release agents they use in manufacturing those things, not to mention all the orange dye!

That said, I have no reason to think that your beer would suffer from spending a little extra time in a secondary fermentation vessel of adequate quality. Defining 'adequate' is a matter of personal opinion. In my opinion, Homer buckets don't qualify. Now if you need a vessel for mixing up some grout, on the other hand...

As for buying more kegs, remember: it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. :mug:

Those buckets are pete #2. Completely food safe. I prefer the lowes ones just because home depots are so blindingly orange. Actually a lot of brewers use them for fermenters. Both primary and secondary. But to each his own.

I spoke with my wife and if I clear some shelves off in the garage (I'm a bit of a hoarder) that I can store some kegs there. So my problem may be solved!

I have a.d.d .... Self diagnose of course,..... but in my very quick and I'm quick sceme over that article , I found this...
"

Any food grade HDPE, PP, or polycarbonate container is appropriate for brining. These materials can withstand the salt, acids (e.g. orange juice, Coca-Cola), and alcohol (e.g. beer, booze) used in flavor brines.

Interesting reading here on the subject of food grade plastics.

A quote from that site:
All the buckets I have ever seen have a #2. This number doesn't mean that it's food grade as many people suppose. But rather it tells what kind of plastic the bucket is made of. The #2 means it is made from HDPE plastic. Most of these buckets are food grade but there are times when they are not.

Sometimes the bucket has a dye added to the plastic that is not food grade This alone will prevent the FDA from approving it as food grade. And sometimes the bucket manufacturer uses recycled HDPE. These buckets also are not food grade.

Like I said earlier, the extra few bucks for guaranteed food-grade buckets is worth it to me for peace of mind if nothing else. YMMV. :)

RensBerserker said:
Interesting reading here on the subject of food grade plastics.

A quote from that site:

Like I said earlier, the extra few bucks for guaranteed food-grade buckets is worth it to me for peace of mind if nothing else. YMMV. :)
I use glass carboys and true brew buckets personally . I do know the bucket in home depot say number 2 , I just assumed that they weren't lying about that!

You no what they say,assumption is the mother of all phuck ups !

Thaks for the info.

Nobody said they're lying... I'm quite sure the plastic those buckets are made out of is #2 HDPE, just as they say. It's just that not all HDPE is food-grade. For the cheap home improvement store buckets, the dye they use (which might also mask what might otherwise be an inconsistent appearance due to the use of recycled plastic) may not be food grade. If they do use recycled plastic (which would make sense, since it would allow them to produce and sell them more cheaply), that may not be food grade.

Eliminating that uncertainty is worth a few extra dollars up front for me. I've been using my plastic bucket primaries for 18 months, so an extra $5 up front doesn't make much of a difference over the life of a fermenter, at least in my book.

My local grocery store which has a bakery puts their buckets into an area where they sell their reduced produce for 50c. just got to stay away from the pickle buckets, I've tried everything to get rid of that smell. Those buckets make good sanitizer buckets for holding my utensils when I'm brewing. I've got some that are for maple glaze, vanilla glaze, etc. they work great and are cheap.

Back on topic. Get a couple more kegs. I made a couple of |_| shaped brackets from 2x4's and hang them from the joists in the garage. If you make them the width of two corny's you can stack 4 and not take up any floor space, and not bump your head on them.

Gunfighter04 said:
My local grocery store which has a bakery puts their buckets into an area where they sell their reduced produce for 50c. just got to stay away from the pickle buckets, I've tried everything to get rid of that smell. Those buckets make good sanitizer buckets for holding my utensils when I'm brewing. I've got some that are for maple glaze, vanilla glaze, etc. they work great and are cheap.

Back on topic. Get a couple more kegs. I made a couple of |_| shaped brackets from 2x4's and hang them from the joists in the garage. If you make them the width of two corny's you can stack 4 and not take up any floor space, and not bump your head on them.

That is an awesome idea! I might try to incorporate that!

Back