Condensation problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilwaukeeTumor

Reaction score
Did a rebuild on a 50's era GE & I did a crappie job on the door seal & have condensation issues (had them before the rebuild but now it is worse). 2 question-1st, any recommendations on material to better seal the door? Currently have tried window/door seal strips, have even tried to double up. 2nd, did I read somewhere on this forum when I was prepping for the rebuild about a dehumidifier that can help? Any advice or coaching would be appreciated. Cheers…

If you can get a magnetic seal that may help. Another thing to consider is whether the door is square to the body of the fridge or is racked and out of alignment. Is there an adjustment on the hinges, perhaps slots that might allow you slide it left or right a bit? Or in and out?

I just finished a keezer and the top sits nicely on top of the collar....unless I tightened the hinges to where it pressed down the back of the lid slightly. That ended up tipping up the front which makes it harder to seal. :) Answer was to slide the hinges up so the front would tilt down.

Perhaps theres's some sort of adjustment you can make in that way.

As far as dehumidifiers, you can buy ones that plug in outside the fridge to recharge them, or you can get buckets of water-absorbing material. They're recharged by heating them, drives off the moisture.

Best answer is to figure out the seal problem if it's possible.

Alright, purchased an e-type gasket for a 1950's era fridge put it on (almost identical to the one I took off and trashed prior to the rebuild). I felt like I had a much better seal than what I had previously rigged up but I am still battling condensation problems (pics attached). Any further recommendations to solve this issue? The fridge has had this problem even prior to the rebuild....???

imagejpeg_4.jpg

imagejpeg_3.jpg

imagejpeg_0.jpg

Where your ice buildup is located is the area where you most likely have your leak.

Aside from sealing it better, (no advice for you there), using a fan to recirculate air inside the fridge in conjunction with these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BD0FN8A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have two, (a different brand, Gurin), one for inside, and one to swap in when I recharge the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put a dollar in the seal, shut the door, and pull it out. It should be somewhat hard to pull out. Do that around the whole door, and it will tell you where your seal isn't sealing.

I did the dollar bill test and I have a good seal everywhere with the exception of door handle area to the top of the door and over about 1/3 the length of the door. I've adjusted the hinges to the best of my knowledge, what would you all recommend to help seal that area of the door (latch, magnet, etc.)? Thanks.

Back