condensation issues after moving

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoboscratch

Reaction score
So I moved recently and since the move I've noticed some serious condensation issues. I have had this kegerator for about 4 years and before was able to control the moisture with a couple small DampRid containers. I used caulk to secure my 2x10 pressure treated wood collar to the keezer, and have the stock weatherstripping on the lid. I am running it at 38F, but I do not have a fan.

During the move a couple people tried to move the kegerator without me knowing and popped the collar off the freezer. I ended up removing the old caulk and reseating the collar. I have placed a couple battery powered lights in the kegerator and do not see any light leaks around the base of the collar or the lid. I have the 2 DampRid containers but I pulled them both out yesterday and although there was a top layer that had started to liquify, it seemed to have frozen and there was no liquid in the bottom of the tub.

I had the kegerator in the garage at the last place, and I have it in the garage now. The garage at my new place is quite a bit warmer and humid than the old and I think that's the culprit. I have painted my collar so it is sealed.

At this point my only guess is that the increase in heat and humidity is causing all the condensation. I have just been wiping it down regularly but I guess as it gets to fall and winter I will know if its weather related or not. I can probably move the kegerator in to my basement somewhere but that might be a tough battle with SWMBO.

Long ramble, but maybe someone has some suggestions on things to try.

keezer or fridge? if it's a keezer check and make sure you didn't lose your drain plug.
I found that I had lost mine when we moved and my keezer had a serious case of rain out/ condensation untill this past weekend. I replaced the plug and added a container of damp rid...it seems to have cleared up the problem.
Also check your seals, I know I have to replace my seals as they are well worn.

4 yr old keezer. Bought the freezer new. I do have the drain plug still there. 2 weeks ago I completely took apart the collar and recaulked everything. I'm kinda stumped to be honest. The only thing I can think of is the weatherstripping might have gotten torn or damaged around the lid, even though it looks perfect to me, or there is some other hole yet that I haven't filled with caulk.

Back