Concerned IBU/SG ratio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsicle

Reaction score
I have developed (not brewed) an IPA recipe with an IBU/SG ratio of 1.36. Is this going to be way out and too bitter?

IBU's = 96
OG = 1.068

That's impossible to answer without knowing how you calculated IBUs, and what your recipe looks like. Another formula might yield only 60 IBUs for the exact same recipe.

I used Beersmith 2.

Let's see if I can do this from memory.

5gal batch with 2 gal steep and 4 gal boil

Steeping Grains:
8oz 60L
4oz 40L
4oz 20L

Extract:
7.5lbs DME Amber at boil

Hop Scedule: (this should be close)
60 min - 1oz Simcoe
30 min - 1oz Centennial
30 min - 1oz Cascade
15 min - 1oz Centennial
15 min - 1oz Cascade
5 min - 2oz Cascade
Dry Hop - 3oz Cascade 7 days

1272 yeast

The 4 gallon boil is going to limit the bitterness some, but that should be reflected in the IBUs. How much Simcoe do you have? You can get plenty of high alpha bittering hops, but no more of that until next fall.
It's going to be plenty bitter, but you've got a lot of late hops as well. So many that you could probably move the Simcoe forward and call it hop-bursted - what happens to the IBUs if you move the Simcoe to 30 or 20 minutes?
With a handle like Hopcicle, I'm surprised you would hesitate.

The 4 gallon boil is going to limit the bitterness some, but that should be reflected in the IBUs. How much Simcoe do you have? You can get plenty of high alpha bittering hops, but no more of that until next fall.
It's going to be plenty bitter, but you've got a lot of late hops as well. So many that you could probably move the Simcoe forward and call it hop-bursted - what happens to the IBUs if you move the Simcoe to 30 or 20 minutes?
With a handle like Hopcicle, I'm surprised you would hesitate.

I can't agree more with this. I'm shocked to see so many recipes posted up on this forum that use Simcoe/Amarillo/Citra for bittering hops. These things are a precious commodity people! If you don't like overly bitter beers, then that's great, move a bunch of additions to the 15-0 minute mark. You'll get a huge aroma and flavor from those additions, and not a whole lot of bitterness. Just use a cheap high AA hop for bittering, like Warrior or Magnum.

Back