Comprehensive carbonation advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwfoster

Reaction score
I have produced mead for 4 years now I believe. My typical aging process has been primary, 2-3 months to secondary. sit for 1 year. Bottle. Wait a year, drink. Obviously I have not carbonated any, though I tried once and I am preparing to try again but I would like solid advice on this. The meads aging currently are in secondaries and were all started in 2015. I have a sweet, medium, dry, melomel, and metheglin - all waiting to be bottled.

The one time I tried to carbonate the mead was dry, about 13% and 0.997. A year old. I corn sugar primed and put into champagne bottles with tie downs. waited 6 months. Nothing was carbonated AT ALL. I wont say what I did with the batch but lets just say it didnt stay in champagne bottles but rather moved into a copper... hmmm. ya. I like brandy.

I brew beer (started a year ago) and have become familiar with priming more than I was - but that mead experience still vexes me. Am I willing to bottle 30 gallons of 2 year old mead (with honey from my own apiary) without more advice or secure knowledge that whatever system I use will work? I think not. A bit of help would be greatly appreciated. Ill pose the questions.

1: if I try bottle priming / carbonating again - I have read I will need to add yeast, and also read I dont need to. Which is it? Most of my meads are 11-14% and were fermented with EC1118, KV-1116, or Red Star Pasteur champagne yeast. Obviously anything I bottle condition will be dry (.998 or less). But they have been in carboys for 2 years. Primary, secondary, and even a 3rd after I was satisfied that they were clear and wanted to put into a clean space for long term aging.

2: If I choose to not bottle prime (which given my first failure, this is ideally what I would like to do), what should I use? I have read about this Fizz Giz but it looks great for soda, not for meads in champagne bottles. I have read about kegging and bottling but I have only seen references to exact setups related to beer. And I keep seeing "dont do this because its too expensive". I have the means to spend some cash on kegging systems so unless we are talking thousands, it doesnt bother me. I want it right. I want it to work.

3: Lastly - I plan on using the same system for carbonating cyser / hard cider I intend on producing this fall and will likely bottle in a year or two. Never done hard cider before. Any major pitfalls given I have done beer / wine / mead for a few years? Acid, yeast, etc. Will cider / cyser need to age 2+ years before I bottle as well?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. You will need to add yeast with the sugar. Any yeast that survived after 2 years won't be in any shape to eat.
Unless the yeast is very active it is still unlikely that it will work; that level of ABV is toxic to yeast so you need a lot of yeast.
If you want to experiment with this you can, I am sure someone has found a way.

2. Best way will be to force carbonate it in a keg. Requires keg, fridge, tank, regulator, hoses, and a way to bottle from keg. Start up will cost a few hundred dollars.

3. You can carbonate cider like you do beer, as soon as primary fermentation is over. At 5-8% it will bottle carbonate fine and doesn't require any long term aging.
If you desire to back sweeten then carbonate, you will need a kegging system.

Once you've reached the alcohol tolerance of the yeast, it's almost impossible to bottle carbonate. You could use a high ABV tolerant strain, and make a 11-12% mead and then perhaps be more likely to get decent carbonation. It'll be nearly impossible to bottle carb something that is already at 14%, I'm afraid.

It sound like you will need some type of force carbonation set-up. Co2 and kegs is easiest. Add a counterpressure filling wand, and you can fill bottles from the kegs.

Trying to carbonate at this point will be tricky. You would have to compromise your drink a long long time during my experimental years i woukd do by adding water to get the abv to drop and add priming sugar and yeast, the result was a drink that carbonated but went from being great to being bad. Force carbonation is the way to go now. if you have a carbonation cap and pet plastic soda bottle that will lead to better results.

Thanks for the advice all. So Keg / CO2 is the way to go with a counter-pressure wand. Champagne + cork tie-down or bottlecaps? Whats going to last 5+ years? I assumed champagne bottle was the only way to go but I have seen lots of people say capping is perfectly fine. Is there a upper duration lifespan for capping?

The caps are like the corks, they will last as long as you keep them high and dry.
Caps get rust around the edges but should hold pressure as well if not better than corks.

Latest posts

Back