Complete newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scarthhd

Reaction score
Always fancied home brewing, but don't know where to start, jus looking for hints and tips of wear to start, mAybe an idea of start up price, there is a home brewing retailer near me,

Much appreciated.

Olly

What TheHopGuy said!
My first kit was less than $100 & I already had a couple pots suitable for partial boil.

See if there is a local homebrewing club or maybe a class offered through your locak homebrew shop so you can get an idea of what is involved. Also, this website and the How to Brew online book already linked are good sources of general info.
Check Craigslist for used equipment. Many items you can find for cheap.

Read a lot of the posts here and read through some of the newbie stickies to give you an idea of the process.

B

I'm relatively new too, I bought 90% of my equipment on Craigslist and Kijiji. Got about 5 kits worth of stuff for the price of one. Be sure to sanitize, throw out anything questionable. Start with simple canned extract, or plain extract and play with hops. My third batch is done, I'm experimenting with dry-malt combinations now. Next will be extract & whole grains, eventually all grain...Brew days gets easier rather quick, I'm still trying to make bottling day easier. Yesterday, I was in the kitchen from 8am to 3pm, but two 23L, batches were bottled....Be prepared to work. It's not easy, but the reward is beer!

Back