Complete List of Hop Varieties / Hop Cheat Sheet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A number of updates to the Bear Flavored hop variety guide.

Added Belma hops, a new variety from Hops Direct. I'll be brewing a single-hop IPA with Belma this weekend, so I'll have first-hand results on that one soon.

A number of really, really intriguing new German hops were just unveiled. They include Polaris, which is super high AA at 19.0 - 23.0 % and described as "minty." Hallertau Blanc sounds promising: passion fruit, grapefruit, gooseberry and pineapple. Could be the German response to Nelson Sauvin / Galaxy. Hüll Melon sounds really interesting, described as strawberry, honeydew and melon. Finally, Mandarina Bavaria is supposed to be mandarin-y.

I would really love to try some of those, hopefully they'll hit the states soon. Has anyone encountered them?

This is great! I will definitely be using this a lot.

I noticed you didn't have US Golding or Whitbread Golding your list. Maybe EKG is general enough, but I have heard there are a few differences between them (EKG being more floral than US Golding). Also, I vaguely have a recollection about Phoenix hops being a replacement for Challenger, if this is the case, it might be an interesting thing to have in the Phoenix description (maybe with how it compares to Challenger).

othellomcbane said:
A number of updates to the Bear Flavored hop variety guide.

Added Belma hops, a new variety from Hops Direct. I'll be brewing a single-hop IPA with Belma this weekend, so I'll have first-hand results on that one soon.

A number of really, really intriguing new German hops were just unveiled. They include Polaris, which is super high AA at 19.0 - 23.0 % and described as "minty." Hallertau Blanc sounds promising: passion fruit, grapefruit, gooseberry and pineapple. Could be the German response to Nelson Sauvin / Galaxy. Hüll Melon sounds really interesting, described as strawberry, honeydew and melon. Finally, Mandarina Bavaria is supposed to be mandarin-y.

I would really love to try some of those, hopefully they'll hit the states soon. Has anyone encountered them?

I'm doing a double ipa right now with only Belma hops about 6 oz in boil and 3+ dry hopping I may use more depending on how strong the aroma/flavoring is. I'll post something here on my findings

I've tasted Hallertau Blanc in a single hop beer. It did remind me of Nelson Sauvin, but perhaps less fruity-sweet (which might also be due to a lack of malt sweetness, of course).

This is great! I will definitely be using this a lot.

I noticed you didn't have US Golding or Whitbread Golding your list. Maybe EKG is general enough, but I have heard there are a few differences between them (EKG being more floral than US Golding). Also, I vaguely have a recollection about Phoenix hops being a replacement for Challenger, if this is the case, it might be an interesting thing to have in the Phoenix description (maybe with how it compares to Challenger).

Thanks! Yeah, when I first made the list, I debated for a while whether to include those sort of "regional variations." I didn't want the list to become too massive, but guess I probably should if they're sufficiently different. I'll have to do some more research into those, but thanks to the feedback.

Apparently I had Challenger as a substitute for Phoenix, but not the other way around. D'oh. Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried the wort from a double ipa brewed only with Belma hops and it gives off a spicy tropical fruitiness. I couldn't really make out the fruitiness because of the sweetness from all the sugars still in it but it has a very smooth taste. I'd say the spiciness isn't very strong but definitely noticeable and very pleasant combination with the other hop flavors. Doesn't taste like citra as much as the description makes it seem.

I tried the wort from a double ipa brewed only with Belma hops and it gives off a spicy tropical fruitiness. I couldn't really make out the fruitiness because of the sweetness from all the sugars still in it but it has a very smooth taste. I'd say the spiciness isn't very strong but definitely noticeable and very pleasant combination with the other hop flavors. Doesn't taste like citra as much as the description makes it seem.

Yeah, I'm sure they probably played up the characteristics that would make it sound similar to Citra, but it's definitely looking like an interesting hop. Your description makes me think of other southern hemisphere hops.

I just brewed my own Belma single hop IPA yesterday, so I'll be seeing for myself real soon!

A group of us just ordered three pounds of Belma and are planning a SMaSH and a double IPA. Can't wait to see what this one does. Keep us posted.

Hallertau Mittelfrueh is listed as a sub for a couple hops, but not listed out on its own.

Good catch, thanks for pointing that out. I've updated the whole Hallertau variants section, and added Hallertauer Aroma.

Can hersbucker and Hallertau german be subs for each other?

German hops aren't my expertise, but my understanding is that Mittelfrüh and Hersbucker are both a subclass of "Hallertauer," so they are technically three distinct hop types. But since they're pretty much regional variations on the same hop, they're obviously very similar.

I didn't see Delta, Aramis, or HBC-342 on your list.

Thanks, I don't know how I missed Delta. I've definitely read about it before.

I added all three of those to the list. Hopefully HBC-342 gets a name soon; those industry code names get confusing. I almost skipped over it thinking it was the same as Mosaic.

Is the link on your blog for the printable list broken? Would love to have on hand for ref later.

Thanks! :mug:

Is the link on your blog for the printable list broken? Would love to have on hand for ref later.

Thanks! :mug:

Where are you seeing this printable list link? I'm not aware of any specific link for a different print version... not quite that high tech, I'm afraid!

If you have any suggestions for how to make it easier to print, though, I'm certainly open to it.

Latest posts

Back