complete kegging noob questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I'm not going to lie...I feel a bit embarrassed to be asking some of these questions given I am 42 years old and have been brewing for over 10 years. BUT, this is my first foray into kegging, so I guess it is all OK :eek:

1) Transporting, kegged, carbed beer (about an hour drive) - shut off gas, disconnect all lines? Yes? Anything else I should do?

2) Order of re-connecting lines - beer line (out) first? Then gas? Then open gas valve? Does it matter?

2b) Should the beer line be already attached while the keg is carbing? Or do I attach it after it is fully carbed?

3) Cleaning/sanitizing beer lines - anything to do after daily usage? Do I just keep the beer in the line? Or do I disconnect, clean and sanitize? I'm talking about during the time there is beer still in the keg.

If it matters, I'm using a ball lock "mini" keg (1.75 gallons) with picnic tap, kept in a fridge/cooler. No kegerator or jockey box (yet).

Thanks for the help.

I'm not going to lie...I feel a bit embarrassed to be asking some of these questions given I am 42 years old and have been brewing for over 10 years. BUT, this is my first foray into kegging, so I guess it is all OK :eek:

1) Transporting, kegged, carbed beer (about an hour drive) - shut off gas, disconnect all lines? Yes? Anything else I should do?

2) Order of re-connecting lines - beer line (out) first? Then gas? Then open gas valve? Does it matter?

2b) Should the beer line be already attached while the keg is carbing? Or do I attach it after it is fully carbed?

3) Cleaning/sanitizing beer lines - anything to do after daily usage? Do I just keep the beer in the line? Or do I disconnect, clean and sanitize? I'm talking about during the time there is beer still in the keg.

If it matters, I'm using a ball lock "mini" keg (1.75 gallons) with picnic tap, kept in a fridge/cooler. No kegerator or jockey box (yet).

Thanks for the help.

1) Yes. You actually don't need to turn off CO2 if you are carbing other kegs and not transporting the CO2 tank. Just disconnect gas in line, disconnect beer out line as well (so it doesn't accidentally leak) and transport. It may slow around and be hazy/full of hop residue. Of course for transporting CO2 tank I would definitely shut it off. I would keep the serving line attached to the tank.

2) I would connect gas in first, then beer out. But I don't think it matter.

2b) No need to connect beer out while carbing. Only if you need to serve.

3) I don't do anything to the lines on daily basis. Maybe every few keg swaps I would clean them. More like every 2 months or so.

I clean the taps once in a while, but I worry less about beer in lines, especially if it's refrigerated.

1: Sure, just try to keep it from bouncing around too much or the sediment will get stirred back in.

2 and 2b: doesn't matter for either. Exception, I guess, would be if you're force carbing at high psi and serving with a picnic tap, which don't do too well with high pressure.

3: nope, just relax and pour some beer! I do like to plug the end of the faucets to keep fruit flies away, but your mileage may vary.

1: Sure, just try to keep it from bouncing around too much or the sediment will get stirred back in.

If you have an empty keg you can jump on keg to another (using a black ball lock to black ball lock jumper)... then the keg will not have all that yeast on the bottom to get stirred up during transport.

Or just serve it as a New England version of what ever beer it is. ;)

Exception, I guess, would be if you're force carbing at high psi and serving with a picnic tap, which don't do too well with high pressure.

Very good advice. I woke up in the middle of the night once in a panic realizing I was force carbing at 30 psi and had a picnic tap hooked up to the beer out post with no clamp on the hose.

I was force carbonating an oatmeal stout (to be served at my wedding) at ambient temperature in my parents' basement and the picnic tap shot off the end. The keg completely emptied and shot 5 gallons of motor oil grade stout all over their basement. Oops.

:ban:

Woohoo!! It worked great and was a big hit at the family BBQ yesterday. Thanks for all the help and reassurance along the way!

1st_keg_pour.JPG

Back