Complete EBIAB Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juskojj

Reaction score
so after reading a few articles on electric brewing i've been thinking about looking into more but have questions.

i'm brewing 1-3 gallons and maybe.... going to 5 but probably not just because i like variety and i don't go through it that fast.

so in the good spirit of minimalism i'm thinking (if it's possible) of having an ebiab set up that i can mash, boil, chill and put right into fermenter all in one compact system.

advantages of doing recirc vs not?

so i was thinking if i go the recirc route then maybe make a counterflow type chiller that the pump would pump the wort from the pot through the chiller back into the pot again? fessible? practical?

what would be a cost range for something like this? either DIY or bought?

the main reason i'm looking at this is then i can brew in my basement where everything is stored, take up minimum amount of area, and not worry what time of day i brew and it'll be faster than my current method of mash in igloo mash tun, boil on gas stove top, immersion chiller in sink, bring everything upstairs and back downstairs.....

Welcome to the world of electric brewing. Brewing smaller 1-3 gallons should be simple with a 15 or 20 amp GFI circuit.

For an all in one I would suggest a hot rod heatstick, and then fermenting in your kettle.

Lots more to learn but your thinking is on the right path imo!!!

Simplest and cheapest would be a manual system no recirc, no chill in the kettle. Fully automated with recirc and chiller much more sophisticated and $$$.

Cost will vary widely depending on your wants. Heatstick and a bag around a $100....full bells and whistles $1500 ball park idk.

so after reading a few articles on electric brewing i've been thinking about looking into more but have questions.

i'm brewing 1-3 gallons and maybe.... going to 5 but probably not just because i like variety and i don't go through it that fast.

so in the good spirit of minimalism i'm thinking (if it's possible) of having an ebiab set up that i can mash, boil, chill and put right into fermenter all in one compact system.

advantages of doing recirc vs not?

so i was thinking if i go the recirc route then maybe make a counterflow type chiller that the pump would pump the wort from the pot through the chiller back into the pot again? fessible? practical?

what would be a cost range for something like this? either DIY or bought?

the main reason i'm looking at this is then i can brew in my basement where everything is stored, take up minimum amount of area, and not worry what time of day i brew and it'll be faster than my current method of mash in igloo mash tun, boil on gas stove top, immersion chiller in sink, bring everything upstairs and back downstairs.....

Think this through carefully. You will be boiling off a quantity of water and that water vapor will be going into your basement unless you have a way to remove it like a vented hood. Depending on where you live and the time of year you brew, that can be very bad for the building.

If you have a faucet and drain in your basement your immersion chiller would work there and avoid the expense of the recirculating system.

great thought but not to terribly worried since I do have a window to crack plus an industrial dehumidifier going for my crawl spaces. I do have a faucet and drain, ok a sump pump but serves the purpose. i was thinking recirculation just to help save on wasting water

Back