Competition Rules Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
So I'm going to enter a few of my beers in competition for the first time and I have a question. These are the entry rules from the competition I am looking at:

The Wizard of SAAZ competition will be open to only beers in the following categories: Stout, IPA, American Ales, Belgian Strong, and European Amber & Dark Lagers . Each brewer may enter one beer style per category only (please note European Amber & Dark Lagers are being combined to one category for judging purposes and are bound by the same restrictions).

I'm assuming this means you can't enter 2 different versions of your Dry Stout for instance. Is this what you would assume??

This doesn't mean I can only enter 1 Stout right? I have an American Stout and a Milk Stout that I want to enter for example.

Is this how you would interpret what is written above?? I sent an email to the person in charge of the competition 2 weeks ago, but I haven't received a response. Thanks!

My read is you can't enter two different styles of stout because they do not have any subcategories.

My read is you can't enter two different styles of stout because they do not have any subcategories.

That's what got too. Seems pretty straight forward.
One beer style per category. So if you have a dry stout and a milk stout, choose one to enter as a stout.

If you keep reading:
One entry per category, per brewer only! Additional entries from the same brewers in the same style will be disqualified and may not be judged.

If you still have any questions, one of the organizers is in my BJCP class, so I can ask him on Wednesday.

That's what got too. Seems pretty straight forward.
One beer style per category. So if you have a dry stout and a milk stout, choose one to enter as a stout.

Ok. I just thought this was a little unusual. I thought most competitions allowed you to enter sub categories from the same style.

I guess I need to pick one. Thanks!

It seems as though this competition considers the "meta-category" (Stout) to be a single entity for entry purposes. You might be able to specify sub-category, but you only get to under one under the "Stout" umbrella, is my read. They specify that BJCP 13 is one of the categories they will take submissions in, and that each brewer is allowed one... whether you choose to enter a 13A or 13C doesn't seem to matter to them, you only get one "13".

At least, that's how I read it... I would suggest emailing/calling the contest organizers or waiting until someone involved chimes in. :)

Ok. I just thought this was a little unusual. I thought most competitions allowed you to enter sub categories from the same style.

I guess I need to pick one. Thanks!
From what I understand, they are limiting it because judges can sometimes be hard to come by. This way, they can ensure a fairly judged compeitiion, and not wear out the judges they do have.

From what I understand, they are limiting it because judges can sometimes be hard to come by. This way, they can ensure a fairly judged compeitiion, and not wear out the judges they do have.

Makes sense. Thank you.

Yep, to me it reads as thought they are giving you the cats, and those are the only ones. Likely they do not expect a large enough turn out to be able to judge subs, and just want a single stout, single IPA, etc.

Back