Competition results - Voss Wheat and Citrusy Pils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabbie92

Reaction score
I made a wheat fermented with Voss. I think it turned out very nice, with the Voss giving some slight citrus/lemon notes. I entered it in a recent competition in the American Wheat category and it only scored a 27. The judges comments focused on the esters/phenols from the yeast...which is exactly what Voss contributed.

It was fun to get the feedback on this beer, and I wonder how I could have categorized it differently so that the yeast contributions are expected. What category would you enter something like this?

I also entered a Pils in the German Pils category. It was made with Ella and Saphir hops, which I know is different than expected. It got an overall 31 which I was pleased with, but it was noted that citrus hops were not appropriate and that noble hops should have been used. Otherwise the beer got very good feedback. Any tips on an appropriate category for a beer such as this?

The Wheat sounds like a light Blonde Ale and the second one - the Pils - depending on how hoppy, bitter, etc. is would probably classify as a Blonde/Golden/Pale Ale of sorts, but no way of knowing without seeing the beer in the glass, smellng and tasting it. Some numbers are also useful, as some styles have strict ABV, colour, etc. requirements. ( ONLY if you want to follow these and compete )

You brewed two beers that came out as you expected and you really like them. That is very good, congratulations on this one. Happens only every other beer that I'm really satisfied with my brew.

Why ruin this experience now by letting somebody else judge it from a completely different perspective then the one you got for yourself? You had something in mind when you brewed these and you nailed it, jackpot!

The judge had something completely different in mind when he looks at the beer

Now you try to figure out how to get more points by placing it in other categories, but why? Who cares what a judge thinks about your beer if you already like it?!

Last edited:
Esters can be moderate in American Wheats, but phenols are not expected. If you have phenolic flavors, this probably contributed to the low scores. FWIW - according to the yeast analysis, Voss should not contribute phenols. Only esters. So perhaps something else went wrong if you have a spice or clove flavor, and if so and the hop presence is low, it might do better as a German Wheat.

A fellow brewer in our club recently got a medal with a Kviek beer entered in the Historical Beer category. You could consider finding an old wheat-based recipe that used Kviek, if that exists. His was a Norwegian farmhouse ale, so not quite the same as yours. If you intend to submit it to another competition as-is, then take a look through historical beer examples and see what it might fit.

As far as the pils, you’re kind of stuck there. If it tastes spot on as a German Pils, you’ll consistently get knocked for non-noble
hop use so long as the judges are picking up citrus. Given that it scored well on all other aspects aside from that, I’m guessing it fits best in that or a similar category. However, as the previous poster mentioned, if it’s also out of style in terms of IBU or ABV that would give it flexibility in a different category.

If it's otherwise a classic Pils using American-ish hops, might consider entering in Mixed Style. I've seen this work well in comps during the "Hoppy Saison" trend a few years back. In that case "Saison hopped like American Pale Ale" worked as a perfectly apt description.

As far as your wheat, I also don't recall getting phenols off Voss, but very strong citrus esters that play well with new world hops. If it's super-estery and slightly phenolic, and dry, Saison perhaps? Very hard to say without actually tasting it.

Ultimately some beers just aren't right for competition, especially for BJCP comps where style guidelines are very rigid. Entering outliers in specialty categories is always gonna be a crapshoot.

Appreciate all the comments. Miraculix, totally agree. I’m happy with the beers and not overly concerned with the scores. I was just looking for insight on how others may have classified these two, and if there were other options.

I don’t get any phenolic taste from the wheat, but can tell how the Voss contributed to the overall flavor.

Interesting idea on the historical beer or mixed style categories, I will research those a bit more.

Time for a Voss Wheat!

Back