Competition Criteria

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepydad

Reaction score
I found a recipe in a book for a coffee flavored porter. I 'tweaked' the recipe somewhat by using a different yeast, coffee variety and method of fermentation. I have given it out to friends to try, and am getting tremendous feedback including two people who suggested that I enter it in a contest. I've never competed in a beer judging before, and don't know if I would be eligible since the base of this recipe has already been published. The recipe for the porter itself is pretty straightforward in my years of brewing. It's the addition of the coffee and a couple other ingredients that make it unique. Anybody know if I'd be plagiarizing to enter this beer in a contest? I'm in California if that makes any difference.

Homebrewing competitions are judging the beer, not the recipe. So you can enter using any recipe you want, including one published here at hbt.com or anywhere else.

Congrats on your beer, its great that your friends like it!

Anything that uses grain water and yeast is plagiarizing.

Nobody can claim that they OWN a recipe. It's why brewers try so hard to keep the particulars secret.

Oh, you are in California. Yeah, Corona owns all the recipes in California. You're ****ed.

Cool. Thanks for the replies. I have a second batch that I just racked to the secondary last night. Are there 'general rules' for submission or are the rules contest specific ... ie: do I bring it in a Cornelius keg, a bottle, 5 bottles, 100 bottles? Sorry for the dim-witted question(s). As I explained I've never done it before, and had never even considered it until my friends encouraged me. I'm pretty jacked at the prospect. What have I got to lose, right?

You need to read the competition guidelines for the particular one you want to enter. It will tell you. Probably 2 to 3 bottles.

Also, read them completely...some competitions are only open to certain styles.

Cool. Thanks for the replies. I have a second batch that I just racked to the secondary last night. Are there 'general rules' for submission or are the rules contest specific ... ie: do I bring it in a Cornelius keg, a bottle, 5 bottles, 100 bottles? Sorry for the dim-witted question(s). As I explained I've never done it before, and had never even considered it until my friends encouraged me. I'm pretty jacked at the prospect. What have I got to lose, right?

Each competition will vary slightly - in general you will be required to submit anywhere from 1-4 brown bottles with no labels and an unmarked or blacked-out cap. Check the competition rules prior to entering. Another thing to note is that most competitions judge based on the BJCP style guidelines. You will probably want to enter in the specialty beer category. Where there is some leeway on the style. If you enter in the porter category you will probably receive a bad score as it doesnt meet the style guidelines. In a competition, you can have an amazing beer but could get a horrible score based on what style you have entered.

Back