Strong Bitter Common Room ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What level of carbonation have most shot for on this? Hoping to bottle this coming weekend, maybe earlier in the week if I can get the time.

Checked gravity today and it's down to 1.009 so a little lower than projected. Hydro sample was certainly sweet, especially for being at 1.009. Planning to bottle it up this weekend, kind of hoping that once it's cold and carbonated some of the sweetness mellows, otherwise this is going to make a great beer for fall/football season.

Hey all, I don't have access to Simpson's Dark, the darker malt in this recipe. Would subbing ordinary Crystal 120L be OK? Or should I stick to UK malts (I can get Baird's dark, 70-80L)?

I think key in the malt bill is the high and low crystals. I've used 120 and 150 for this with Good results paired with 60l each time

This is a great recipe. My goal was an ESB / Mild with a big floral aroma and this delivered. I swapped 0.25 lb of medium crystal for some biscuit malt and really enjoyed the results. My mash temp was around 158 F so my FG was 1.020 which I think actually made this a better beer; lots of body and great maltiness to balance the hops. Rebrewing soon.
This batch hasnt really carbonated yet and I cant keep my hands off it.

You should be good to go. S-04 blew through my 3 gallon batch in just 2 days. Kegged a week later and kicked the keg 3 weeks later.

About 5 minutes from the 20 minute addition now. Smells great so far. Missed my mash temp ended up at 151 but I am still looking forward to this one [emoji481][emoji481]

Edit:

Came in at 1.058 for the OG currently waiting for the wort to cool down to pitching temps in the fermentation fridge then I will pitch some re used windsor yeast. Can't wait to try this one.

I think I might rebrew this with us-05 or perhaps s-04 again and ferment at my dads (his basement is always 66 degrees)

My version would be good if it weren't for the sour apple aftertaste. I believe this came from getting too warm

Just brewed this puppy. Got 78% instead of 82% mash efficiency... so there will be less of it than I wanted, but can't wait to taste it. Thanks, KingBrian!

Picked up the grains and yeast (wlp013) for this one today. Now all I need is my hops to show up and I'll be brewing this bad boy this weekend.

I brewed this a few years ago and liked it and rebrewed it this year. Made with New Zealand malt and came out delicious. Likely to be on my yearly brew schedule :) Kegged and carbed to 2.5 since I don't want to change volumes for different beers. A vigorous pour seems to knock a bunch of C02 out anyway.

Brewed this yesterday, came up short on my OG at 1.052, this could be down to my first time crushing grain.

12 hours later and I've had to connect a blow off, the S-04 has taken off like a rocket.

I didn't see a fermentation temp so I'm fermenting between 66-68.

Brewed this for a competition, so here's hoping it goes well!

Brewed this up yesterday and came in @ 1.061
For some reason my ferm chamber brought it down too low (61) even though I have it set at 66? So I opened the lid this morning and am currently letting it come back up to temp.

Just tapped this, it's pretty great. The hop/malt balance is pretty much dead-on for the style. I used Golden Promise which is probably a *tad* too sweet for this recipe, though it's nice. Next time I'll use Maris Otter.

I honestly don't see how liquid yeast could improve this. If anyone's scanning the thread for yeast info, US-04 for two weeks is fine.

2z6zel2.jpg

After one week this is down to 1.011 after starting out at 1.052

I'll leave it for another week to clear up then keg! What pressure are you guys putting this under? I was think 15psi?

I brewed a variant on this about 5 days ago. Raised the ibu a bit and used 1028 London ale yeast because I had some on hand and it works well for English styles.

English ales traditionally have low carbonation. I have mine sitting at 10.

Cheers Jon, I plan on entering this in to a competition and want to make sure I have everything right!

Kegged this last night, added gelatin and set the psi to 30. Smelled wonderful and I'm looking forward to trying it this weekend.
I used wlp013 and only got 67% attenuation so my FG is a bit high @ 1.020. I was looking for 1.017 or lower but oh well. OG was 1.061 so still gonna be a 5.4% ABV beer. IBU came in around 40 so it shouldn't be too sweet. At least I hope not!

Looking forward to hearing how it turns out - I carbonated lower (around 14 iirc) and I have been wondering if I should bump that up the next time I brew this one...

Looking forward to hearing how it turns out - I carbonated lower (around 14 iirc) and I have been wondering if I should bump that up the next time I brew this one...

I only plan to leave the psi @30 for 24hrs and then turn it down to 10-12 and bring the chamber up to 38* from 32*. Looking to get 2.2-2.4 vol carbonation.
High for the style but that's how I like my beers

This is one damn fine beer!
Only been on gas for 2 days but it's so tasty. Once it clears a bit more I'll pour a pint and post a picture for all to see.

Picked up grains for this esb, yesterday hoping to brew it tonight. Going to use whitelabs 002 washed from a porter might add a little colour to it. Hopefully not too much.
How long should I condition this beer or can I keg it and drink it as soon as it's done fermenting?

Picked up grains for this esb, yesterday hoping to brew it tonight. Going to use whitelabs 002 washed from a porter might add a little colour to it. Hopefully not too much.
How long should I condition this beer or can I keg it and drink it as soon as it's done fermenting?

Never used 002 but I used 013 and fermented for 8 days cold crashed for 2 days then kegged. Was drinking it 2 days later and very tasty! View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1445212913.722375.jpg
Still cloudy but the flavor is great. Also used all EKG hops

I kegged this on Saturday night...I don't know if I've tricked my self in to thinking it, but I'm sure I could get a subtle smell of banana from the fermenter.

I used S-04 and the highest my temperature got was about 70F, so I know I've opened myself up to esters.

I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and if the banana aroma died down after a while in the keg/bottle?

Eh, you're mashing high so probably not too much. There's a lot of crystal that makes up the flavor too. Maris Otter has a distinct flavor but I'm sure Canadian stuff will make an excellent beer. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Eh, you're mashing high so probably not too much. There's a lot of crystal that makes up the flavor too. Maris Otter has a distinct flavor but I'm sure Canadian stuff will make an excellent beer. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Thanks for the advice

Making this my last brew of the season today. Gotta sneak one more in before the snow flies and brewing outdoors just isn't an option anymore.

Made a start with 1968, man thats a thing of beauty watching those yeasties go to town.

I used 1968/002 on mine too. There's a comment somewhere in this thread saying you should mash a little lower when using 1968/002 because it's less attenuative than s-04. That's what I did on mine.

Back