Commercial fridge broken glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slimgid

Reaction score
I just got ahold of a True Temp single door commercial fridge that I plan to put my car boys in during fermentation. Temp Controll is hard for me in summer given +100 degree days. Unfortunately while unloading it I broke the inner pane of the duel pane door window.

Anyone have experience replacing glass on these doors?

Could I take it to a glass shop or will I need a specific refrigerator part?

I'm assuming I could still use it with the outer pane still intact but it will be far less efficient.

Thanks

If ya' don't need glass, you could replace it with a sheet of insulation, and plastic sheeting inside and out.

You'll get a little surprise, when ya' go to price a replacement double pane for the fridge door..............

I'm assuming I could still use it with the outer pane still intact but it will be far less efficient.

Efficiency is a bit less critical since your only chilling to ferm temps and not fridge temps. Unfortunately a replacement door may be more than you paid for the fridge :(

I would try and remove the broken pane, and see how it runs on a single pane.

Could also source an inexpensive piece of plexi glass at Home Depot and install that in lieu of the broken pane....not as good as original, but perhaps good enough.

After a long cry, I would probably run it w a single pane door.

replacing one pane does nothing except create a space for condensation. The insulation of the previous panes was supplied by a sealed vacuum or low e gas.

Yeah, if you replace it, it'll fog up between the panes. If you don't replace it, the single glass will sweat on the outside.

Yeah, if you replace it, it'll fog up between the panes. If you don't replace it, the single glass will sweat on the outside.

I guess I'm an optimist, and would link to think that it may occasionally fog or sweat based upon ambient temperature and humidity. Since the intended use is a ferm chamber, the majority of time the unit may not be that far below ambient.

Will depend on the dew point. If the user is in a dry climate, this may not be an issue.

I'd put some insulation on the inside of the door. Better than glass in every which way, except for looks.

I guess I'm an optimist, and would link to think that it may occasionally fog or sweat based upon ambient temperature and humidity. Since the intended use is a ferm chamber, the majority of time the unit may not be that far below ambient.

Will depend on the dew point. If the user is in a dry climate, this may not be an issue.

Also depends on the fermentation temps. I ferment in the low 60's. Actually I chill to the high 50's then let it come up a few degrees after fermentation starts. That is far enough below ambient to cause condensation.

Thanks for all the info... Yes replacement t glass or door assemblies are pricy to say the least. The fridge was free so if be willing to spend a bit but not what it will take.

I'll go with a single pane and see how it goes. Pretty dry here in northern CA valley so not worried about condensation, and I'm not shooting for super low temps. If all else fails I'll go with insulation. I was just so excited about the novelty of the glass door.

Latest posts

Back