Commercial craft not as good as my homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

signpost

Reaction score
Right now I'm running a little low on homebrew and the main batch I've been drinking isn't all that great in comparison to how I expect my beer to turn out. The other day my uncle gave me a gift of a 6-pack of a commercial APA (with rye), and I was excited because that meant my homebrew would last just a little longer. It wasn't a beer I had tried before, so I was excited to try it.

Well, the commercial beer turns out to be not very good at all. I understand the idea of unfiltered beer and bottle dregs, but this one has a large amount of floaties that are completely unavoidable AND there is an off-flavor of some sort. I can't nail down what it is. I guess I haven't had enough practice identifying off-flavors (I'm ok with that). My gut reaction is that it is something to do with the yeast, but who knows.

I tried a second bottle, thinking maybe I had just shaken up the first bottle a bit too much. No dice. There are still 4 bottles left.

So, I'm proud to say that even what I consider to be a mediocre batch of my homebrew (and calling it mediocre is being generous) is better than something my uncle paid money for at the store.

I was just having this same conversation with a few of my friends, I had just gone to a local brew pub and got there sampler and out of 8 beers there was not one I would order a glass of. To be honest after I started home brewing I find myself to be disappointed at prob half of the commercial beers I try.

I agree completely. I was thinking that it was because I have stepped out the beer styles and brew what I like. Now even when I brew to a certain style I find that I enjoy my beer better than most crafts of the same style.

The variance in quality of commercial beer is large. I have been disappointed many times.

However, the top tier of commercial craft beer really is the top tier, IMHO. Both in consistency and excellence. Not even my best homebrews come close to those.

Ya. I would say there are a few really good commercial beers out there, mostly from craft breweries that have managed to stay independent but still crack the market.

I agree as well. Especially my IPAs. Commercial IPAs I used to think were a 10/10 have been moved way down the list since I've perfected my IPA process. There's nothing like freshly homebrewed IPA. I get rave reviews from my hop head friends.

The variance in quality of commercial beer is large. I have been disappointed many times.

However, the top tier of commercial craft beer really is the top tier, IMHO. Both in consistency and excellence. Not even my best homebrews come close to those.

Well said. I feel like my homebrews are good and some even approach the top tiers for their styles, but I don't have the specialized equipment, resources, or frankly time that professional brewers have at their disposal. That's one reason why sub-par craft beer, beer that is just brewed poorly and riddled with off-flavors, particularly irritates me. If I can make a solid beer using a plastic cooler, a mega pot, and a few buckets, then my basic expectation is that a "professional" brewer can do so as well, especially when they're charging money for their products.

Well said. I feel like my homebrews are good and some even approach the top tiers for their styles, but I don't have the specialized equipment, resources, or frankly time that professional brewers have at their disposal. That's one reason why sub-par craft beer, beer that is just brewed poorly and riddled with off-flavors, particularly irritates me. If I can make a solid beer using a plastic cooler, a mega pot, and a few buckets, then my basic expectation is that a "professional" brewer can do so as well, especially when they're charging money for their products.

Wow....yeah I totally agree here. When I pay for a sh!tty beer that costs 5-10x more $ than the stuff I make and it really pisses me off.

Definitely true.

There are plenty of craft beers that blow away even my best homebrews.

I know other people have found flaws in commercial beers before. But I guess this is the first time I've had a commercial beer that really has something wrong about it. The problem isn't just that I don't like the flavor they were going for. And it doesn't seem like the problem is from the beer being old or stored badly. It is a genuinely badly made beer.

Definitely true.

There are plenty of craft beers that blow away even my best homebrews.

I know other people have found flaws in commercial beers before. But I guess this is the first time I've had a commercial beer that really has something wrong about it. The problem isn't just that I don't like the flavor they were going for. And it doesn't seem like the problem is from the beer being old or stored badly. It is a genuinely badly made beer.
This is especially sad when it is a new local craft brewery. You get all excited about it because you imagine all the brewery days where you will hang out, maybe even get to talk to the brewer. Then you taste the beer and just wonder how they could mess it up so badly and think this was worth selling.

And I'm not talking about a style you may not like, but just off flavors and terrible recipes.

Part of it is what I call “style creep”. As a homebrewer it is easy to modify your recipe to make it bigger. More body, more color, more hops. A style becomes a caricature. Commercial versions are a bit restrained, for business purposes.

I'd say about half the time my beer is better than most craft beer on the market. I certainly can't brew an IPA as good as Founder's All Day IPA, but then again, I'm not as much of a hophead these days as I used to be. To brew German beer the quality of Weihenstephaner or Spaten or Paulaner is my quest. In that respect, my beer is pretty mediocre, but it's still all pretty tasty with a dud batch here and there.

Remember, even great breweries can have issues that escape their quality control process. And new breweries barely have quality control practices.

I had a 6-pack of pilsner from Drake's, which is a pretty solid brewery, a couple of years ago, and every bottle in the sixer was a gusher. It was clear from the taste that an infection was taking hold. Not up to the standards they usually meet. But I don't hold that against Drake's unless it were to become an endemic problem to more of their beers. Every brewery misses every once in a while.

There's a new brewery here in SoCal, called Strand. I recently had their 24th Street Pale Ale out of a bottle, and it was clearly off. I was a bit upset, as I had heard good things about them and I always like to support the local guys. I shared that bottle with my bro-in-law, and he likewise thought it was off. But he later told me that he had a pint of it on draft, and the issues that occurred with that bottle weren't in there. So I had it on draft at a different place a few nights ago, and it was a totally different beer.

I don't think you should excuse breweries for their screwups, but I would suggest that depending on the brewery you bought from, and depending on the quality of their reputation, they may be worth a second chance.

Remember, even great breweries can have issues that escape their quality control process. And new breweries barely have quality control practices.

I had a 6-pack of pilsner from Drake's, which is a pretty solid brewery, a couple of years ago, and every bottle in the sixer was a gusher. It was clear from the taste that an infection was taking hold. Not up to the standards they usually meet. But I don't hold that against Drake's unless it were to become an endemic problem to more of their beers. Every brewery misses every once in a while.

There's a new brewery here in SoCal, called Strand. I recently had their 24th Street Pale Ale out of a bottle, and it was clearly off. I was a bit upset, as I had heard good things about them and I always like to support the local guys. I shared that bottle with my bro-in-law, and he likewise thought it was off. But he later told me that he had a pint of it on draft, and the issues that occurred with that bottle weren't in there. So I had it on draft at a different place a few nights ago, and it was a totally different beer.

I don't think you should excuse breweries for their screwups, but I would suggest that depending on the brewery you bought from, and depending on the quality of their reputation, they may be worth a second chance.

Agree totally, just finished watching Brew Masters, about DFH. It seemed like in every episode they were dumping thousands of gallons of beer that wasn't up to their standards. So it is not surprising with small commercial companies that the occasional mistake might make it through.

You are definitely right on about that. That's why I haven't mentioned what the beer was or what brewery made it. I've had good beers from them before, and I'm sure this 6-pack is not a representation of their general level of quality. The really well known beer from this brewery isn't my cup of tea, but it is well-made and has a good reputation as being virtually the epitome of the style.

Is it also possible that we have a bias towards the beer we make and have tendency to think it's better than it is?

Otherwise, how do you explain all the bad beers entered into homebrew contest? I know some folks just want feedback, but still.

Ain't that the truth. I learned that lesson well when I participated in a brew competition that was based on popular vote among all the brewers.

I'm going to comment on commercial brews as well as home brewers. As my brewing gets more refined, I've found I have been more and more disappointed with many commercial brews. Not all....but many. I love a fresh Pliney, I love a lot of the things from Ballast Point, Stone, DFH etc. But I'm more often than not, disappointed by a new find at the liquor store. The same can be said for home brewers. Everyone loves their own stuff, but to be quite honest.... a lot of stuff people should just keep to themselves. I've tasted a lot of BAD home brew over the years (some of it mine) and some really good homebrew too (not mine). For the life of me, I don't know why people send sub-par beers to competitions or to friends. I try to send out only the good stuff. I'm my own worst critic. I down play every beer in my keggerator when friends are visiting. Having said this, I fish for honest feedback from them as well as strangers (beer sent with wife to work for her friends etc...) Most of it is very good.

I guess my point is: I wish commercial as well as home brewers would care about the quality of beer they serve to others (save the oops batches for home use only). Some do....some don't. Some breweries are out to just make a buck, and some home brewer's don't want to believe that their Apple, Pumpkin, plum infused concotion....is horrid....even to themselves. Why torture your friends and or customers? :tank:

Is it also possible that we have a bias towards the beer we make and have tendency to think it's better than it is?

Otherwise, how do you explain all the bad beers entered into homebrew contest? I know some folks just want feedback, but still.

Oh yeah, I think this is definitely true. Many homebrews I've tried of friends were flawed in many ways and they were just raving about them. I never have the heart to tell them what's wrong, unless they ask me. I always ask others if they taste anything off in my beers and I ask them to be honest. But I'm not so sure my friends have very refined palates either for off flavors. Mine is getting better, but it's still needing improvement.

Oh yeah, I think this is definitely true. Many homebrews I've tried of friends were flawed in many ways and they were just raving about them. I never have the heart to tell them what's wrong, unless they ask me. I always ask others if they taste anything off in my beers and I ask them to be honest. But I'm not so sure my friends have very refined palates either for off flavors. Mine is getting better, but it's still needing improvement.

Oh yes, this is very true. I've tried plenty of homebrewed beer that is just terrible, but I rarely have the heart to tell someone that when they're offering it to me. There's no need to be a jerk about it.

Now, when I'm judging, I'll definitely call out out flavors and how to address them as I think that's the proper place. One guy at my last homebrew club meeting was enthusiastically passing around a beer that he wanted to enter into the state fair and was riddled with fusels and esters. It's a beer that in my head, I thought "19 or lower" as I tasted it, but I didn't have the heart to tell him to save his entry fee. He'll find out when he gets his score sheets and hopefully takes the criticism constructively.

Oh yes, this is very true. I've tried plenty of homebrewed beer that is just terrible, but I rarely have the heart to tell someone that when they're offering it to me. There's no need to be a jerk about it.

Now, when I'm judging, I'll definitely call out out flavors and how to address them as I think that's the proper place. One guy at my last homebrew club meeting was enthusiastically passing around a beer that he wanted to enter into the state fair and was riddled with fusels and esters. It's a beer that in my head, I thought "19 or lower" as I tasted it, but I didn't have the heart to tell him to save his entry fee. He'll find out when he gets his score sheets and hopefully takes the criticism constructively.

It really makes me want to start entering competitions so I can get honest feedback. It's good that friends say they like your beer, but I want to REALLY know what's going on with my beers, if there's anything. I feel like I have a pretty good sense of something that's wrong, but there could be something I'm missing as well.

Dude, feedback from the last homebrew contest that I entered told me that I should buy a charcoal filter to get rid of the chlorine. The water that I used was mountain spring run off.

Spartan1979 said:

I'm sure we are a bit biased cause we brew to what we like. I have never entered a beer in a competition so I can't speak for that but I had 2 of my beers in a local beer fest with about 30 other breweries and I had multiple comments on how they liked it and from people I didn't know. It was nice to see some people like it and tell their friends to go get some of my beer. Some people were shocked to hear it was home brew and that they couldn't buy it anywhere.

Latest posts

Back