Comments on water profile for hoppy red ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripeland

Reaction score
After years of saying that I wanted to make my own beer I have finally started! I first made two extract batches then moved on to BIAB (5 gallon batches). So far I have made a tripel and a belgian dark strong ale with the BIAB method. I feel like I have the process pretty well sorted with proper yeast starters/ferm temp control etc, but I have never attempted any water additions or adjustments to the mash pH. I do not have a pH meter. The two BIAB batches I didn't make any water adjustments apart from using a 3-stage carbon filter to remove nasties. Here is a link to the water profile I supposedly have:

https://www.sawater.com.au/communit...n-your-area-whats-in-your-water/central-metro

I am looking to brew a hoppy red ale next (Jamil's West Coast Blaster from Brewing Classic Styles). Do you think I need to look at my water or just roll with it as is...? I know either way it will make beer but I am wonder if there would be any noticeable difference going down this path with the water I have. I have heard it is a pretty good profile for many styles.

Will you be using extract or mashing? Extract brewing can benefit from using purer water like RO or distilled, but the tap water isn't all that bad.

The chloride is substantial, but not excessive. Just recognize that you may not want to add much more chloride. The alkalinity is modest, but you'll likely need to neutralize that content for paler beers. A red ale will probably need alkalinity neutralization. For that reason, acid is your friend. Learn to dose your water as needed to make better beer. A program like Bru'n Water is helpful for learning the why and how of water adjustements.

Will you be using extract or mashing? Extract brewing can benefit from using purer water like RO or distilled, but the tap water isn't all that bad.

The chloride is substantial, but not excessive. Just recognize that you may not want to add much more chloride. The alkalinity is modest, but you'll likely need to neutralize that content for paler beers. A red ale will probably need alkalinity neutralization. For that reason, acid is your friend. Learn to dose your water as needed to make better beer. A program like Bru'n Water is helpful for learning the why and how of water adjustements.

Thanks for the reply. I will be brewing all-grain with full volume mash. I believe I am heading down the path of adding a small amount of gypsum to up the calcium and sulfate slightly, and then phosphoric acid to get the pH in range if needed. I will use a program like Bru'n water to help.

Back