comments on hop leftovers apa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kharnynb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Had some leftover hops and grain, so trying something out, any comments on the recipe/things you'd do different?

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (G): 6.0
Total Grain (lb): 11.348
Total Hops (oz): 4.56
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.72 %
Colour (SRM): 3.7 (EBC): 7.3
Bitterness (IBU): 47.9 (Tinseth)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
9.929 lb Finland - Pale Ale Malt (87.5%)
1.419 lb Finland - Wheat Malt (12.5%)

Hop Bill
----------------
1.20 oz Brewer's Gold Pellet (9% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
0.48 oz Amarillo Pellet (8.6% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.1 oz/Gal)
0.48 oz Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.1 oz/Gal)
0.48 oz Amarillo Pellet (8.6% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.1 oz/Gal)
0.48 oz Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.1 oz/Gal)
0.72 oz Amarillo Pellet (8.6% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.1 oz/Gal)
0.72 oz Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.1 oz/Gal)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°F for 90 Minutes.
Fermented with Safale US-05

I would be a little nervous on the level of bitterness for the strength of the beer. Not that it can't (or hasn't) been done, but after a poor experience or 2 myself with over hopping a lower strength beer, I try to pay close attention to the IBU/SG ratio. If you're not familiar, see this post about the IBU/SG ratio, which would put 48 IBUs quite a bit on the too high side of a SG at 1.048.

EDIT: let me also add, that when I've done similar recipes, where theres a significant hopping schedule under 20 minutes, the amount of time taken to cool the batch at the end of the boil can push your estimated IBUs up as they continue to extract past flameout. This further skews the IBU/SG ratio if you aren't careful about it.

Tyler

As MonsterBrew said above you may be a little on the high side for IBU's. But, in my opinion, more so for style. you're more on the IPA range than APA. Your target ABV isn't so low that i would worry too much about the recipe. You could split your 60 minute hop addition to 0.6 oz at 60 and 30 minutes to lower the IBUs a little. If you didn't have the hops on hand I wouldn't buy a second oz for the 0.2 oz in your 1.2 oz Brewers Gold 60 minute addition. The only other change is to maybe also split your dry hopping into 2 4-5 day additions back to back. It sounds like its going to be tasty.

not buying anything, everything in the recipe is in my stock.

but i can reduce the brewer's gold to 1 ounce to make it a bit less bitter.

Latest posts

Back