Comment on IPA Recipe, Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smyrnaquince

Reaction score
I've gotten to the point where I am happy enough with my process that it is now time to try creating a recipe. My goal is a fruity/malty IPA. I'm looking for balance between the two.

Mashing at 152F for 60 minutes. I do stovetop boils for 3 gallons into the fermenter. (I can convert this to a more normal size if it helps get me some comments.) The recipe shows very little trub because I pour through a strainer into the fermenter after chilling.

Thanks!

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 4.03 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.13 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 3.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 2.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated Color: 7.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 54.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 74.80 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 78.6 %
1 lbs Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 14.3 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.1 %
0.50 oz Mosaic [12.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 4 24.5 IBUs
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 5 -
0.50 oz Mosaic [12.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 14.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Mosaic [12.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 Hop 7 15.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 8 -
0.50 oz Mosaic [12.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge 152/60
Total Grain Weight: 7 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 10.58 qt of water at 162.1 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 3 steps (Drain mash tun , 1.12gal, 1.12gal) of 168.0 F water

Your grain bill is a little high on crystal for my liking. I have used a 79% pale malt, 13% munich, 5% wheat and 3 % crystal before and it came out really well, malty but not overly sweet.

I also mashed lower about 148F and it still had plenty of body.

For my taste your hopping rate is a bit low post boil. I would use at least 2oz dry hop and 2 oz stand for a 3 gallon batch.

Kettle additions look fine.

Mosaic is an excellent single hop but if you wanted to pair it with something else it goes well with simcoe. I also think it would go well with Nelson Sauvin though I have never tried it.

It works with Citra but keep the Citra addtions low as it will tend to mask the mosaic.

For a more malty quality use an English yeast, WLP002 works well in an malty IPA. Start low temp and them ramp when airlock activity slows.

Thanks! I like the idea of adding wheat for some head retention. I can cut the Crystal in half. I'll think more about the hops.

I like to see what I can get out of dry yeasts, so I may consider S-04 or Windsor.

One thing i noticed you Don't have a 60min hop addition. If you confident you can get all your Ibu by hop bursting then go for it. Personally i find the ibu from hop stands to be somewhat unpredictable. Personally i stand at 70°C and add a 60 bittering charge

At least according to Beersmith, I'm getting all the IBUs that I need. From what I've read, the bittering is supposed to be smoother with later additions.

Yeah, I think your IBUs look fine. I would increase the Flame out additions and Dry Hop. (1oz FO and 1oz Dry) I don't think you'll have to worry about the additional ibus from the hopstand. But if you are worried about it, put another half oz in when you are chilled down to 170ish.

I really like Mosaic for single hop IPAs. I also think that is a good idea to get that crystal down to 3%ish. I usually limit it to around 2%.

That's just my 2 pennies. Your recipe is looking good. I believe you are going to see positive results in creating a malty/fruity IPA.

1 ounce at flameout and at dry hop sound good. I want good taste and aroma, but not crazy hoppy.

I'm now wondering about the flameout hops. I had planned to use my immersion chiller to get the wort to ~170F, add the hops, and wait 30 minutes before finishing the chill. Would it make more sense to just throw the hops in at flameout and do a regular chill with no pause?

I'll adjust the Crystal down to 3-4 ounces. I also want to add in maybe 8 ounces of flaked wheat to get some head retention. (Flaked wheat or regular wheat malt?)

For the earlier discussion on yeast choice, I'm still considering US-05 instead of something like WLP002. I'd like a malty/fruity IPA, but I don't necessarily want it to be sweet and the WLP002 spec sheet claims an apparent attenuation of 63-70%. The US-05 spec sheet claims 81%. I think I am more after the fruit notes coming from the hops and not the yeast esters. Otherwise I would also consider S-04 or Windsor.

If you want to promote fruit flavours try wyeast 1272. The slight tartness it produces is something commonly associated with citrus fruit and so can trick the brain into thinking it more fruity than it is

I love hop steeps and use them a lot for flavor and aroma, but I really don't find they add appreciable bitterness. As a test, I brewed a SMaSH with a single 4 oz, hour-long 190 degree Summit hop steep (no boil hops). It was delicious, but like pineapple juice, very sweet, with almost no bitterness at all (Beersmith had it at 70-some IBUs). I basically do IPAs with a 60 minute addition to hit my target IBUs, and a big long hopstand for flavor.

Thanks for the yeast suggestion and hopstand info. I need to read up more on both yeasts and on time/temp for hopstands.

Recipe looks good. Crystal % would be a matter of taste. I would also go under 5% also or less for an IPA but up to you.

Personally I'd go higher for the hops - I'd do 1oz dry hop and 1oz flameout for 3oz total at least. I have a 2.5 gal batch on now which will use 5oz total.

I've also not done all Mosaic but I've had commercial versions that were good so bound to be ok.

I've been using flameout additions for the last few hoppy beers I've put on and have been very pleased.

I'd take the general lack of comment as the internet's approval.

Thanks for the encouragement. It looks like it is time to decide on the final details, brew, taste, and decide what (if anything) to change for next time.

I brewed the recipe from my original post with these changes:
  • Added 8 oz flaked wheat
  • Dropped Crustal 20 down to 4 oz
  • Bumped the dry hops to 2 oz
It came out pretty much the way I wanted it. The hop aroma is starting to fade. I like the hop taste, but next time I may mix in a second hop, as well, for more hop complexity.

Mosaic is a tasty hop, but it does better as second fiddle in an IPA. The classic pairing (as classic as a couple of varieties less than a decade old can be) is Citra and Mosaic. Even if you go 40:60 Citra:Mosaic, you'll find that Mosaic is a very competent second fiddle to the Citra.

Back