Comics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schemy

Reaction score
I must be going through a life crisis because I'm getting back into things, or newly into things I was interested in when I was a kid. One of those things being comics. I never read a lot when I was a kid, but have always been a Super Hero, Origin Story, Vigilante, Comic Art loving guy. So now that I have a kid showing interest in these type things, I want to start reading some titles.

I just bought Batman Year One and read that. Will get some of the other iconic batman books soon.

Anyone else read comics, and if so what do you read?

The easiest (and cheapest) way to read comics is to look at digital subscriptions like Marvel Unlimited. For $70 a year I can read all of the Marvel comics I want that they have online. The only downside is I have to wait about 3-6 months since they're first published to read them, but for $6 a month I can wait.

This is vastly cheaper than buying single issues or trade editions - I used to spend upwards of $150 + storage. I'm not sure if DC, Image, Dark Horse, etc. offer anything similar though.

I don't read them anymore, but I've always liked the artwork. I have a lot of comic book themed prints I've found over the years.

I have a collection of Marvel/DC posters from the 'Got Milk' ads from about 15-20 years ago. Of course Batman is drinking chocolate milk because he's The Dark Knight.

I love stuff like this.

f21852d9a4a71d9a3b20d562a551d85d.jpg

images.jpg

i9vuhqgnbyr9fu.jpg

A friend of mine collected many comics when he was young (hell, he still might as far as I know!)

He had some of the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics when they came out. He also collected one I felt was more better: Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters!

TMNT #1, from 1984, is ultra-rare. In good shape & graded by CGC, I think it's approaching 5-figures.

I've got a copy of V For Vendetta, which, in my humble opinion, is WAY more interesting than the movie. I also have the compiled edition of the comic series Star Wars-Jango Fett, which details the backstory of the greatest Mandalorian who ever lived (before Disney bought the franchise and @#$%ed everything over by tossing out the Expanded Universe comics, novels, roleplaying games, etc.) Now and then I've read my share of X-MEN, Superman, Batman, Iron Man. I really don't have a real preference as far as being exclusively Marvel or DC. :mug:

"V" is a much better comic than movie. There's just too much going on to cram into a 2-hour movie.

:rockin:

I was a Marvel zombie for the longest time. I started buying Uncanny X-Men at #171, stopped buying them at #472. Now, I read whatever I can get from the library, mostly Image & DC stuff I've never read before.

I'm hearing persistent rumors online that Hugh Jackman signed on for one more Wolverine movie. Word has it the script is based off the 'Old Man Logan' story arc Marvel Comics did quite awhile back.

It would be nice for "Hollywood" to get Logan right after Jackman is gone.

Wolverine is not 6'2" and pretty.

And he doesn't forget leg-day.

:D

I've read comics for most of my life, though pretty on/off, and not following any specific lines.

Still got most of my LOBO comics though, sadly lost my deadpool collection in a move.

Also, manga counts. Akira should definitely be read, not just watched. I read the books after seeing the movie and kind of recommend it this way.

Either way, it should definitely be read.

Thanks fellow nerds. I've got a lot of good suggestions here.

I used to be big into comics but got too expensive and took up too much space. And I got tired of chasing one DC story through several titles. Lol

And all the relaunches. So any more I just collect the DC animated movies.

Late 80s/early 90s I read plenty. Last fall I visited my parents and pulled my old horde out, still bagged and boxed up. Still have most of the initial Image releases such as Spawn, I loved McFarlane's style. I had his Spider-Man issues as well. Be interesting if they'd ever come to be worth something. Hopefully in 2020 a Spawn movie comes out and there's a demand for them.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457057041.984792.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457057058.013653.jpg

Edit: I love that one of my boxes was a 5.25" floppy disk case packaging.

The easiest (and cheapest) way to read comics is to look at digital subscriptions like Marvel Unlimited. For $70 a year I can read all of the Marvel comics I want that they have online. The only downside is I have to wait about 3-6 months since they're first published to read them, but for $6 a month I can wait.

This is vastly cheaper than buying single issues or trade editions - I used to spend upwards of $150 + storage. I'm not sure if DC, Image, Dark Horse, etc. offer anything similar though.

This 1000 times. It doesn't have the novelty of having the physical book, but man the space I am taking up with boxes and boxes of this stuff from my childhood is crazy. Not to mention you will probably never look at the physical copies again once you have read them.

This brought back memories! Our family business was the one that actually bound the first 5 issues of the Hamsters! We actually bound a lot of the black and white books that came out just after TMNT and the first Dark Horse books. :rockin:

After I posted this before I had to go back and see that Hamster comic again. Turns out they were a PARODY of the TMNT comics! Even better! I remember at the time I thought they were better. maybe because they were more humourous?

I wonder if Jeremy even still has his comics. I would not doubt if they were still in his parents basement. He had thousands of dollars of comics back in '90. I know it wasn't a really special collection, but I bet it's worth a few more $$ today.

After I posted this before I had to go back and see that Hamster comic again. Turns out they were a PARODY of the TMNT comics! Even better! I remember at the time I thought they were better. maybe because they were more humourous?

I wonder if Jeremy even still has his comics. I would not doubt if they were still in his parents basement. He had thousands of dollars of comics back in '90. I know it wasn't a really special collection, but I bet it's worth a few more $$ today.

More humorous by far. I still have several thousand books I collected in the 80's and 90's. I speculated on a lot of books, but the ones I wish I still had were the Fantastic Four 3 set of books introducing Galactus and the Silver Surfer. I paid about $70 for the three books and sold them less than 2 years later for over $600. That was long before the F4 movie.

I have a few copies of a book that Marvel claims doesn't exist (they were supposed to have been destroyed when the distributor found them). Captain America #337 Steve Rogers Fights Again - Steve in the black, red and white Cap suit. Every other page has no black ink (looks like a bad 3D book). I had 22 of them, after gifting my brothers each one, making large trades (Issues 1-24 signed first print copies of Fish Police by the author) and several $$$ sales I'm down to 3 of them. Last one sold 10 years ago for $300. :rockin:

Nice, my advice would be to sell them asap. You could get a pretty penny for them.

I've got a few I'm going to send out for auction soon: Action 242, Superboy 5 and 6. I watched the same Action issue go for 34k in a high grade so it's in demand and pretty rare. My copy isn't as high a grade but we'll see what happens.

I haven't read many since the early-mid 80s until my grandkids started getting interested in them a few years ago. I do have a bunch of #1 issues from those days like Alpha Flight; I have no idea if they're worth anything.

I haven't read many since the early-mid 80s until my grandkids started getting interested in them a few years ago. I do have a bunch of #1 issues from those days like Alpha Flight; I have no idea if they're worth anything.

Depends. Alpha Flight doesn't look like it's hot right now but that all changes if a movie or show comes out with their characters in it. Look at Guardians of the Galaxy.

Depends. Alpha Flight doesn't look like it's hot right now but that all changes if a movie or show comes out with their characters in it. Look at Guardians of the Galaxy.

I've also got the #1 issue from when they restarted the Flash with Wally West moving up to being the Flash.

I've got a whole bunch of 80's and 90's comics, most aren't worth much, except maybe the lobo series and some of the older image stuff.

Lobo isn't there yet, I've got a bunch too and the guidebooks are cover price or maybe $1 more. Unless you have his first appearance in Omega Men, which is about $60 at a 9.4 grade.

MQAxADcANwAxAA==.jpg

This one? Worth about $15 near mint. Comics from the 1980s haven't really taken off yet but that's how it was for the 1970s comics not too long ago. Bag and board them, and store them carefully and you'll be ready if they hit their stride.

NgAwADkA.jpg

I think that's it. I'll have to dig through my closet and see exactly what I have.

Just won some auctions on ebay for a bunch of early Fantastic Four, Sgt Fury, and Avengers. The Avengers issue is #9 and is slabbed. First comic I've bought where it's slabbed and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Latest posts

Back