Comet rhizomes in Oregon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ong

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Comet isn't a patented variety -- anyone have any leads about where I might pick up a rhizome or crown? Being in Oregon, I guess I would need an in-state source because of the quarantine. Thanks for any info!

Why Comet? The only place I've seen that variety offered is Great Lakes Hops but they're only advertised for commercial customers.

Thanks. I dunno, I just really like the intensity of that hop. I realize it's not too popular, though.

Popularity shouldn't play a role in your choices. Remember that these are your plants for your beer, make it how you want it.

Good beer is good beer, regardless of what went into it. You can't make bad beer taste better just because you use amazing ingredients.

I grow both popular and non-popular varieties, as well as try an adapt "wild" plants into standard cultivation practices to see if there is anything useful.

Do as you please!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Try the Yakima Valley in Washington. Can you say Road Trip?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Yeah, the only problem is that Oregon has the embargo against bringing in live hop plants from any other state... Makes it tricky.

I really like Comet combined with some of the other "C" hops for that blast of grapefruit zest.

I missed the part where this person was running an active hop research program.

I didn't say Ong is running a research program... just saying that the USDA in Oregon have Comet. Maybe by correctly formulating the request to the USDA, getting a rhizome would be possible.

Just pointing out a possible source for Comet without breaking the hops importation laws in Oregon. ;)

Hey, just for completeness, I finally located Comet rhizomes this spring at Steinbart's in Portland. Eagerly awaiting the first shoots...

cool. I've never even heard of Comet hops before. I must be out of the loop

Latest posts

Back