come on yeasts! work for me!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosmokramer

Reaction score
well, another one of those questions, but i really do need to ask.

about 48 hours ago i brewed up what will be the start of a blackberry ale. using light LME and some tettnanger hops with some carapils yada yada yada. well the question is, WHY HASNT IT STARTED TO FERMENT!? :(

i have a couple things that i think might have caused the lack of fermentation thus far (which has caused me to worry quite a bit) On my first batch (this is my second now) i used dry yeasts from the package and when inserting them into the wort i was told to stir violently to airrate the beer because putting on the top and stopper. well this time i used WLP300 which is wheat ale yeast and i was wondering since it was a liquid yeast if i needed to stir and whip violently again. because i did...

and wondering if WLP300 would have been the right yeast. does the yeast you use affect the outcome of the beer? saying that if i used just the wrong strain of yeast i wouldnt see any action? im thinking i probably would see some sort of action but it wouldnt have the same taste i was looking for? just being nervous because it hadnt taken this long. and being a Noob i want to make sure i am getting everything done the right way.

i appreciate the help guys the input is great. and if you need anything to further crack this case, feel free to ask and ill let you know as i might be leaving out information that is pertinent.

Did you make a starter for your liquid yeast? If not, that may be why it's taking it's time.

Depending on how old the yeast was, or if it got warm in transit, will have some impact on how many cells are viable in the package.

How have you verified that it "isn't fermenting" ? A hydrometer test is necessary to verify this. Keep on waiting, or take a hydrometer reading now and another in 24 hours to see what's up.

WHAT CRITERIA ARE YOU USING TO DETERMINE IT ISN'T FERMENTING?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/, and by visible signs we don't necessarily mean a bubbling airlock.

It IS a sticky at the top of the beginners forum for a reason, afterall. ;)

As already stated in the linked sticky, Fermentation often can take up to three days to start. And by visible signs they do NOT mean airlock bubbling.

You didn't make a starter, so LAG time is perfectly normal.

After 72 hours take a hydro reading....until then relax.

thanks guys, your all helping to calm the nerves. ill just make sure to check again this time tomorrow and hopefully ill get to see some airlocks bubbling, if not then ill take a hydrometer reading then. im just gonna let it sit for now and hope for the best. i guess one upside would have to be that when i checked it a little while ago i did notice a bit more condensation in the airlock, that would lead me to believe bubbles are enroute soon.

but as far as using yeasts, would any beer yeast work for any beer? but just providing different off-tastes if not suited for the beer you wanted to make?

ill just make sure to check again this time tomorrow and hopefully ill get to see some airlocks bubbling,

That's your mistake, caring about a stupid airlock. Whether it's in a conical, a bucket, or a carboy, it's the same thing. An airlock is a VENT, a VALVE to release excess co2, nothing more. It's not a magic fermentation gauge, it's just to keep your beer from painting the ceiling.

If it's not bubbling that just means that there's not enough CO2 to climb out of the airlock, or the CO2 is just forming a nice cushion on top of the beer like it's supposed to, or the airlock is askew, or it is leaking out the cheap rubber grommet, or you have a leak in the bucket seal...all those are fine...if CO2 is getting out then nothing's getting in....If it stops bubbling it doesn't mean it's stop fermenting either.

It just means there is no airlock bubbling....Nothing else.

Over half of my beers have had no airlock activity...

I've got to agree with Revvy on this one. One of my buckets does not create an airtight seal, so any time I ferment in it, I get little to no airlock activity. All those beers have still turned out just fine.

I'm beginning to think Revvy is really an internet chat bot that posts the same responses all the time.......:D

but as far as using yeasts, would any beer yeast work for any beer? but just providing different off-tastes if not suited for the beer you wanted to make?

Well, yes and no...if you fermented wort with any yeast, and kept the temperatures in range for that yeast, you would get beer. It would likely be good beer....but it might not be a particular style of beer. For example, you can't make pilsner with ale yeast. Sure, you could use all the same ingredients, but if you pitch ale yeast, it just isn't a pilsner.

Also, some beers are heavily denpendant on yeast flavors - and again, using the wrong yeast will still give you beer, but maybe not the right style of beer.

I guess the answer is, do you just want beer, or do you want a particular KIND of beer - if you want a particular kind, you have to use the right yeast. If you don't care about style guidelines (and I'm not suggesting you have to care) use any yeast you'd like.

Latest posts

Back