Combining yeast strains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pursuit0fhoppiness

GTA Brews club member, pharma technologist
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm brewing my first IPA soon and am wondering about combining a couple similar yeast strains. I have a tube of WLP060 (American Ale yeast blend) and am wondering about also using a tube of WLP001 California Ale or something similar. As it's an IPA that'll be above 6.0% abv I think I should use 2 tubes, should I buy another WLP060 or is something different but similar okay?

Thanks! :mug:

Just make a starter with the tube of WLP060. It's already a blend so I don't think you'll notice a difference in taste if you add WLP001. Based on the description of WLP060 it sounds like it already contains WLP001 as well as 2 other strains.

I've done this a few times with other yeasts just for fun. Did a 001 with a White Labs yeast vault 075 (Hansen) yeast. Did an 007 with 001 and did an 002 and 007. All used in IPA's. I can't say anything great or bad about any of these beers. Other than some better floculation on some, I don't think I could really tell much difference.
I say, go for it. Have fun and experiment.

Hi Eric, yes I live in Toronto and am a fairly new homebrewer, but I love the hobby already. I did join the GTA Brews group, and am dying to attend a monthly meeting but I work every Monday evening :mad: I'll try to make it to one in the future though!

:mug:

Back