Combining Electric HLT with Gas Boil Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frymn1969

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering combining electric in HLT with Gas under boil kettle for my sculpture build and need an off the shelf controller for a single element output and 2 temp inputs. I like the control electric provides for HLT/HERMS.

I don't like the limitation of not being able to heat HLT while boiling wort with an all electric system. This observation is based on the "Electric Brewery" set up. To have an all electric system that can do both simultaneously (multiple batch brew day) would require a 50A system and cost way too much.

This is why I'm thinking a PID controlled element in HLT and a gas burner under boil would work well.

So my question is does anyone know of an off the shelf PID controller setup for a single heat output and 2 temp inputs to control just the HLT? I'm not very electric savvy!!

Thanks

Todd

Auberins.com has some of the best quality PIDs and SSRs and a heat sink for under $100 prolly. My think is they are a little more expensive but will last long. But I think most use the SYL-2352 PID pretty sure it runs one element but you might wire in a select switch for which PID you would like to read. But I no expert haha

It's not available yet, but they expect to ship sometime in March-ish... www.brewbit.com.

brewbit.JPG

I think what you really have to decide is if the possibility of brewing back to back batches outweighs the benefits of being fully electric. For one thing, can you safely run 100k+ BTU gas flames where you plan to brew? Everyone has their own goals, but for me, I'd rather be fully electric and be limited to one batch at a time.

I think what you really have to decide is if the possibility of brewing back to back batches outweighs the benefits of being fully electric. For one thing, can you safely run 100k+ BTU gas flames where you plan to brew? Everyone has their own goals, but for me, I'd rather be fully electric and be limited to one batch at a time.

I agree. And you could always use propane to start your next strike water if time is your factor

Thanks for the replies folks. I have decided to go all electric. 50 amp PID 2 - 5500 elements capable of running simultaneously. I found the thread with P-J's diagrams and think I may be on to something.

Back