Columbus Ohio Homebrew fundraiser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevCoGT

Reaction score
I was curious to know if there are many people near Columbus, Ohio that might be interested in being involved in a homebrew "competition" sometime in June.

Basically, I am involved in the organization of a missions trip to Cambodia and looking for ways to raise money for people to go and to support the orphanage and medical center we are affiliated with over there. Would people be interested in taking part in this? I was thinking if we could get 10 people (or more if there are more out there) willing to brew a 5 gallon batch or so we could charge like $15 or so for people to come and sample each brew and vote on a favorite.

Hopefully we would have enough people that the brewers could be refunded for their donated beer (2-3 people coming would handle each brewer, so this seems easy enough). Also, it would be a cool way to meet some local people involved in this hobby since I am currently rather new to it.

Anyways, I have a venue large enough to hold 500 people...which unless this is wildly popular I imagine should be sufficient.

Post here if you think you might be interested and if theres enough interest we can get this going. Currently there are 3 people not on this forum that are interested in this idea.

Sounds like a good idea, just make sure it's legal. Charging for homebrew can be tricky.

You need to rethink your fundraiser. Charging for homebrew is illegal. There are many threads here regarding that subject. Bottom line is it's illegal and there's no tricky way around it.

I have checked the legality of it, and will not be charging for homebrew. There is a suggested donation to come in, not a charge. If you would like to come in without a donation...I guess that's your perogative, we won't turn you away, we'll just probably look at you funny.

This is a large concern and would hate to do anything illegal so I will be contacting law enforcement in order to get a final okay, but my initial questioning came out positively.

We also cannot offer cash prizes as there is a legality issue there as well. I know the owners of the three homebrew shops in our area, one of which is affiliated with our church and seems to be interested in the idea of sponsoring the event in the form of a prize for the winner...what it is and the value remains to be seen.

Seems like interest is high enough to go ahead so I will keep you guys up to date on information as it becomes available.

After talking with two of the owners of some of the LHBS in town they seem on board with donating either some equipment, recipe kits, or gift cards for prizes. What they actually do donate is going to depend on their stock as the date actually approaches. So instead of just the goodness of your own heart, now theres a bit of incentive to enter a beer or two.

Now, as far as the competition aspect goes, I think two prizes should be available (at least) one for anybody who attends to pick a favorite, and a second for the brewers to grade.

On a final note, I am also trying to get a few of the local breweries to contribute some beer to give us a sort of "heavyweight" to take down. Obviously they will not be eligible for the prizes because their prize is getting to brew in a commercial scale brewery!

Any other ideas you guys have let me know, I have never planned one of these before so I imagine together we can make it a pretty fun and successful event.

Haha, one mention that there are prizes and seems like interest picks up quite a bit. Us homebrewers attempt to be a frugal bunch, don't we. We fail more often then not, but we can all remember when "we want to brew our own beer to save money!!!"

I also got into cycling to save money on gas...now my bike is worth more than my car.

So the event is (tenatively) scheduled for June 2nd, around 4:00pm, down near OSU's campus in Columbus, Ohio. I will post more detailed information as things become official, gotta make sure there are no other reservations on the building for that day, but I didn't see anything when I looked at the calendar.

Back