Columbus hops have 'ham' smell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutty_gnome

Reaction score
I just used some Columbus hops in a very pale ale. The hops had a distinct 'ham' odor. Not bacon, not pork chops... but like red ham. When tossed into the boil and at flameout the smell intensified.

The hops had all the other hallmarks of fresh hops, good color and good piney scent and had been stored very well.

Am I confusing the 'dank' smell people associate with Columbus with a 'ham' or meaty smell? Is this normal for Columbus?

What does Dank smell like in hops? Assume I don't have access to pot for comparison.

Some crops of Columbus have had supposed onion/garlic flavors associated with them, but that mostly seemed to be from middle (~20-30 min) additions. I've used them to bitter before and made a couple all-columbus IPAs and I've never smelled (or tasted) ham, or onion or garlic.

What does Dank smell like in hops? Assume I don't have access to pot for comparison.

Un-possible!

On a serious note, I too have never smelled/tasted ham, onion, or garlic with Columbus hops. As for "dank," think earthy/deep forest/organic material-type smell.

I kegged this with gelatin this evening. Will know more in a few days if ham smell is prevalent... It wasn't in the flat beer samples I slurped up.

Download the Jamil Show podcast for the Lagunitas Hop Stoopid IPA clone. They go into depth about the mildew disease that Columbus is susceptible to and how it affects the aroma and flavor.

I totally agree with you about the smell. I describe Columbus hops flavor as "smoked" but I don't know anyone else who does. I think they taste like smoked turkey lunch meat, so ham is right on par. I don't have a super sensitive palate, but I can always tell when a beer is brewed with Columbus. I live turkey sandwiches, but not in my beer.

I made a Columbus pale ale where I used Two Row and took 25% and toasted it at 275° for 45 minutes. I don't recall any ham or onion/garlic smells. The beer was excellent and did not last very long. It was a 3 gallon BIAB batch with WY1056 .25 oz at 60 minutes and .25 oz at 5 minutes.

Download the Jamil Show podcast for the Lagunitas Hop Stoopid IPA clone. They go into depth about the mildew disease that Columbus is susceptible to and how it affects the aroma and flavor.

So I listened to the podcast. Thanks for the suggestion. Based on what I heard, I'm not going to buy columbus (or CTZ) by the ounce anymore. There are too many more reliable and similar hops to choose from to be worrying about mildew afflicted hops. N_G

nutty_gnome said:
So I listened to the podcast. Thanks for the suggestion. Based on what I heard, I'm not going to buy columbus (or CTZ) by the ounce anymore. There are too many more reliable and similar hops to choose from to be worrying about mildew afflicted hops. N_G

Glad that it helped.

Columbus is very susceptible to powdery mildew and downy mildew. Those plant diseases normally wipe out the crops though, so you shouldn't get mildew tainted hops very often. If you choose never to brew with Columbus (CTZ) you are, in my opinion, depriving yourself of the use of a wonderful hop. I haven't tasted any other hop that I thought was the same or similar. I can always tell if a commercial beer has Columbus in it (ever had a Thunderhead IPA?) and I have used them myself many times. Never, ever have any of them smelled or tasted like ham or smoked. I would rather spend a buck or two and take a chance. If the next ones you buy smell like ham to you, chances are you just don't like Columbus hops. Just my two cents.

I agree with the post above. I wouldn't completely shun away from Columbus because it can b affected by that disease. I would just make sure that the Columbus that I am using for aroma/flavor is a good crop, otherwise use it for bittering.

Meh. I'm done with columbus. It isn't working for me. I've used columbus as one of several hops in a few light and dark beer recipes. They all left something to be desired. The current ale is mostly columbus and another a hop I know I like (palisade). Therefore, the offending hop is columbus and I'm tossing it under the bus and I dont care. Plenty of other fish in the sea as they say. I can't sit on the columbus packer's shoulder and ensure that I'm getting a good batch so... forget it.

Back