Color too light?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooonshine199

Reaction score
Total Noob here- First batch I made was mediocre. Mr. Beer Pale ale- Followed instructions and sanitized to the T's. Now My second batch, something strange has happened. I switched recipies - Now in bottles is the "Cold Morning Maple Wheat": The stats for this beer are on the page-
http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/793/nm/Cold_Morning_Maple_Wheat

I boiled the wort, added the hops and maple syrup (grade B vermont dark). The wort was very dark as expected. The fermentor was left alone in a dark room, 70 degrees for three weeks. When I bottled it, I noticed the color has now gone from about a 15, to about a 10. I can't find anywhere where beer has lightened up in color during fermentation? Ideas? I tasted it during bottling, and although I had a 3 alarm hangover, it tasted like warm flat beer. Pretty good warm flat beer actually... When bottling I used prime-caps this time as opposed to sugar last time. 5 per bottle- My Q is about the lightening color- Why- how- good bad? But any comments are welcome. I bottled 6 of 20 in clear bottles so I can enjoy the color as it lagers. I plan to lager for another three weeks min. See Pics- one shaken to mix the prime caps up a day after bottling. Thanks for any ideas! (I'm so hooked on this!)

IMG_a1467.jpg

IMG_a1468.jpg

IMG_a1471.jpg

Back