Collecting Wort Duration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cajun_Tiger33

Reaction score
I see alot of information about collecting wort that states times it takes to sparge. I am a little confused about this. Does it matter how long/little of time it takes you to collect all the wort from your mash and sparge?

Just looking for someone to shed some light on this for me. TIA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

When you start collecting your first runnings you should start slowly so your grain bed doesn't compact and instead makes a filter bed. Once that bed is created and your wort is running clear you can open it up. When you batch sparge, stir your water and grains thoroughly because you need that stirring to get the sugars in solution. Again, start draining slowly so you don't plug it up but then one it is running clear you can speed it up.

The procedure where it matters how slowly you sparge is when you are fly sparging. You need to keep adding water to the top of the grains as fast as you are removing wort and you have to remove wort slowly so you don't create channels in the grain bed where the water can run through without collecting the sugars along the way.

I normally shoot for .5 -.75 quarts per minute into the boil kettle leaving an inch or so of water above my grain bed. The amount of time it takes will vary depending upon the size of your batch.

When you start collecting your first runnings you should start slowly so your grain bed doesn't compact and instead makes a filter bed. Once that bed is created and your wort is running clear you can open it up. When you batch sparge, stir your water and grains thoroughly because you need that stirring to get the sugars in solution. Again, start draining slowly so you don't plug it up but then one it is running clear you can speed it up.

The procedure where it matters how slowly you sparge is when you are fly sparging. You need to keep adding water to the top of the grains as fast as you are removing wort and you have to remove wort slowly so you don't create channels in the grain bed where the water can run through without collecting the sugars along the way.

^^THIS^^

Channeling is a big reason not to crack it wide open once you set the bed. With the first runnings, I don't get to worried about it because I'll be adding more water and stirring it before I start to sparge, but with the second runnings, I usually go slower.

With batch sparging, the sparge is with the addition of water and the stir...runoff speed is irrelevant I believe???

True, but I don't crack it wide open because it can still channel to a degree. Many times I'll hold back a gallon and add it slowly to the second runnings while draining, I feel it washes down the grain a little better. Just how I do it, obviously more important for true fly sparging, but an extra 5 mins doesn't bother me.

Ok I agree, now that you mention a mini fly sparge as part of your final runnings.

I do the same, when I realize my volume is a tad short I sometimes run a few quarts through the grain.
Cheers

True, but I don't crack it wide open because it can still channel to a degree. Many times I'll hold back a gallon and add it slowly to the second runnings while draining, I feel it washes down the grain a little better. Just how I do it, obviously more important for true fly sparging, but an extra 5 mins doesn't bother me.

Instead of doing your "pseudo fly sparge" and hope you don't channel, turn off the outflow and add your water, stir, and then drain. You'll get the same amount of sugars dissolved.

Instead of doing your "pseudo fly sparge" and hope you don't channel, turn off the outflow and add your water, stir, and then drain. You'll get the same amount of sugars dissolved.

I wouldn't really call it any kind of fly sparge, I'll just rinse the grain down with a gallon at the end of my batch sparge. A gallon isn't enough to stir up a 14 or 15lb bed. Like I said, just what I do. At work I do a traditional vorlauf and fly sparge, but that's on a 15bbl system with all the bells and whistles, so it's a lot easier.:D

Back