Coleman Extreme 70qt for mash tun???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is this cooler to big for 5 gallon batches? I will eventually be doing 10 gallon, but for now just 5.

Help quickly cause these coolers are just $34 at the outlets!

Just wanting to know because I'm making the jump to all grain and I don't want do anything that waste money. If I need to to just by the 10 gallon Rubbermaid..I will.

I converted one of these for my mash tun and I use it for 5 gallons and 10 gallons frequently. You can always mash smaller amounts. I say grab it while you can.

I had the same question basicly a good while ago. For what I believe now a 70 qt is great for 10 gallon batches. Isn't great for 5 gal batches but only due to the fact of possibly more heat loss during the hour rest. So as long as you account for it and keep an eye on it with smaller batches you goldin !!
Also here a Really useful chart by BobbyM in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-big-your-mash-tun-needs-123585/

That is what I use for five gallon batches. I have never had a problem with heat loss. Might lose a degree or two over the period of a sixty minute mash. Make sure to preheat the MT before and and it'll work out great!

I have this one too and I do 5 gallon batches. Havent done a 10 gallon batch but will be glad I have this cooler when I do

I have the 70 qt Xtreme cooler and always preheat before mashing. I lose 4 degrees or more when mashing 14 lbs of grain or so. I am considering purchasing a smaller cooler. At a minimum, I am going to try putting some foam insulation on top of my next mash.

In short, I find it too big for 5 gallon batches.

I have the 70 qt Xtreme cooler and always preheat before mashing. I lose 4 degrees or more when mashing 14 lbs of grain or so. I am considering purchasing a smaller cooler. At a minimum, I am going to try putting some foam insulation on top of my next mash.

In short, I find it too big for 5 gallon batches.

Cover your mash with aluminum foil, it really helps. And don't open it up to stir until you're ready for mash out.

I have the 52 quart version and lose 2 degrees each time I open it up.

I use this cooler. It works really well for 10 gallon and partigyle beers. For smaller batches I make sure it is covered with a heavy wool blanket.

Also if you mash thin...say 2 qt/lb you have more thermal mass and deeper mash bed. Another cool way to use this cooler is BIAB style, with no bag... I just mash in with my full quantity of water, collect runnings, no sparge. That can be first step in a partigyle or just a way to speed up the brew day.

Back