Coleman Cooler Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slantedbolt

Reaction score
Here is another question. I got a 5 gallon round coleman cooler for a mash tun. Is this to small? From what i have read, for 10 pounds of grains, you need 2.5 gallons of water but I do not know the displacement value of the grain.

Did I waste money on this cooler?

I think 5 gallons is OK, so long as you stick to 5 gallon batches and if you don't plan to do much with really big grain bills. If you step up to 10, you'll need more room.

I brew AG with a friend of mine, who has a 10-gallon coleman. We've done a ton of 5 gallon batches in that one, I think it only ever got more than half full when we made an oatmeal stout. We've also done a couple of 10 gallon batches with the same cooler, and once came close to running out of space.

I can handle 12 lb of grain in mine, looks like I could do more. If you want a bigger beer just add lme or dme to up the SG.

VB

To be honest, you'll probably want to remove that spigot and replace with a brass or stainless ball valve - check out Palmer's "How to Brew" for DIY instructions for such a thing, or check out Bargain Fittings for a kit. These will be much more easily cleaned, and you can connect them much more easily to a false bottom or SS screen to help filter the wort from the grain.

The issue is to be honest is once I remove the spigot, the hole is much bigger then a normal cooler. Do you think you can get larger washers to make this work? I am worried I wasted 20 bucks.

I have mashed 15# in a igloo 5 gal cooler. The was was really thick. 1.1qt/lb maybe. I made a 8.9% abv maibock. Pain in the ass to sparge though.

Back