Cold Break ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAustin919

Reaction score
It was really tough to get a good picture...

I made my own immersion chiller and used it today at the end of my boil. The batch went from boiling to 80 degrees in a little under 9 minutes. About 6 minutes in, a "cloud" formed about an inch under the surface. Is this the cold break that every one talks about??

Hopefully the photobucket links work..

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee24/caustin919/Home%20Brew/IMG_6038.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee24/caustin919/Home%20Brew/IMG_6035.jpg

Yup.

You can see the same thing happen with hot break- one second your wort is all foamy and about to boil over, and the next second it's gone clear with big chunks swirling in it.

That would be it! Congratulations, here's what mine looks like going into the fermenter after going through the plate chiller:

709382368_photobucket_13035_.jpg

That would be it! Congratulations, here's what mine looks like going into the fermenter after going through the plate chiller:

709382368_photobucket_13035_.jpg

I'll bet you end up with fluffy lumpy yeast that won't compact down on the bottom of the fermenter. If so it's because you've overdosed on copper finings.

I plan on straining my wort going from my brew pot to my primary. So If I plan to cool in my brew pot and I do get a good cold break, its not gonna hurt to strain correct?

EoinMag said:
I'll bet you end up with fluffy lumpy yeast that won't compact down on the bottom of the fermenter. If so it's because you've overdosed on copper finings.

I'm not sure what you mean? This is simply after adding whirflock and running through my plate chiller. No yeast clumps, beer came out crystal clear, and I had a very compact yeast cake.

Deuce said:
I'm not sure what you mean? This is simply after adding whirflock and running through my plate chiller. No yeast clumps, beer came out crystal clear, and I had a very compact yeast cake.

The yeast cake in my batch was not "fluffy" either. Everything compacted down nicely for me resulting in a clear beer.

homebrewed505 said:
I plan on straining my wort going from my brew pot to my primary. So If I plan to cool in my brew pot and I do get a good cold break, its not gonna hurt to strain correct?

No it won't hurt to strain the wort. I will say though that I stopped trying to strain after only my first couple batches.

FWIW.. I've found rather than dealing with the pain of a clogged strainer.. I would rather just let it settle out in the primary.

Back