coffee kona porter tweak ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkBrood

Reaction score
I recently brewed a 5.5-gal. batch of Chocolate Porter that included a small amount of Kona coffee in the mash. The last two days of primary, a bit more coffee (the same nice Kona) that was soaked in vodka was added to the fermenter. My current secondary fermenter for this batch is only 5-gal., so my overflow went to a 3/4-gal. fermenter.

Tonight, I transferred the 3/4-gal. batch onto a pound of refrozen-and-pasteurized farm blueberries. Due to my fermenter configuration, I can't retrieve my hydrometer if I read in the secondary, so I'll be pulling another 3/4-gal. to measure it. Something else to experiment with!

Any ideas? Add some steeped crystal and carmelized sugar for a toffee-coffee porter? More sugar and water for a thinner one? more hops for a dark coffee ipa?

I'm thinking the toffee-coffee experiment with a bit of Gambrinus Honey Malt. Recommendations for honey malt usually describe an upper flavor limit of 1# per 5gal. I'm thinking 2oz of Honey Malt with a small measure of water to mini-mash at 152*F for 20-30min. before straining. Then I plan to boil it for a bit to denature the enzymes and sterilize my mini-wort. I'll either caramelize a little sugar directly in this boil or in a separate pot and then combine it. Still trying to decide between using corn or cane sugar....

Latest posts

Back