Coconut thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtisj

Reaction score
Adding a coconut aroma and flavour to a beer.

I am wondering the differences and outcomes between these options.
If anyone has dabbled with coconut before let me know.

A) toasted unsweetened coconut flakes at flameout.
B) toasted unsweetened coconut flakes in secondary
C) Coconut extract in secondary or bottling.
D) Any combination.

I have heard and read many things, I understand the oil situation, but have recently heard that if toasted it will eliminate some major oils when adding to secondary.

Either way, I would like a mild-strong coconut presence in my beer and would love more feedback.

I used about 24 ounces of toasted unsweetened coconut flakes. Flavor was fairly strong for a couple weeks but it mellowed out big time shortly after. I added mine right in the keg with a steeping bag.

I "dry hopped" 16oz of unsweetened toasted coconut, it came out excellent and will be doing it again.

I used some coconut palm sugar in my last brew,its not ready but i think im not expecting much from it and it could be possibly weird, i think i will prime with it also,but i really love the taste of it. Sometimes thats a chance though.I have no idea how much to use as a priming sugar though. I like the idea of toasted coconut,i think you would get more out of that although it would impart a different type of flavor but probably good.I think you can almost get a coconut flavor from certain types of oak,i was reading descriptions somewhere the other day and this was a description of a certain toasted or light oak.

I think im going to brew a stout with this next.Porter or stout also seems appropriate and more fitting.

I plan on brewing a coconut porter as well. I plan on using it in the mash, boil, and secondary. I do a lot of baking, and one time I experimented with coconut by toasting it and then dehydrating it for making mirengue cookies. It dried it out real nice and pulled a lot of the oils out, so this is how I'm going to prepare it for my brew..

exactly what i was thinking that toasting would pull out the oils. Although i think it will still distort the flavor but not neccessarly in a bad way but just differnt.

I toast it and put it in secondary for a week or so. I use about 10oz for a 5 gallon batch, and I like the balance I get with that amount. I get coconut aroma and flavor but it doesn't dominate.

I have had mixed results with head retention. On one batch it was definitely an issue, and on others not so much.

Im convinced now, im going to oak and toast coconut( i wonder if i can use a real coconut and shred it and toast it and still make tastey coconut milk with it) a stout and use coconut palm sugar to prime.No turning back ,i have a plan for the weekend now. I need another beer. I wonder if i can boil coconut milk for beer"? Im starting to think in that maple beer route now.

exactly what i was thinking that toasting would pull out the oils. Although i think it will still distort the flavor but not neccessarly in a bad way but just differnt.

I think it was the dehydrator that did the best. After the shredded coconut came out it would have oil drops on the surface and you could lay it all out on paper towels and blot it off. I did this 2 or 3 times and put it back in the dehydrator until it got super dry and crispy. I only toasted it very lighlty (light brown color) before starting the dehydrating process.

Oh,wow,now im pissed my GF gave away our dehydrater.I had a failed attemped at growin hops due to DOA.Or maybe dryrot or wetrot ,whatever. I intended on keeping it in case i grew hops successsfully.

Oh,wow,now im pissed my GF gave away our dehydrater.I had a failed attemped at growin hops due to DOA.Or maybe dryrot or wetrot ,whatever. I intended on keeping it in case i grew hops successsfully.

I have one because I used to make a lot of beef jerky. You can dehydrate in the oven if your oven will let you get down to 150F...

Back