Coconut Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSamu

Reaction score
Just a quick question. Should I use store bought pre-sweetened coconut or should I buy fresh coconuts. shred it dry and roast it ect. :mug:

MS,

I've made Coconut Porter a couple of times because I enjoy it so much. I have used 1-2oz. of Coconut extract per 5 gallons. Depends on how strong of a flavor you desire. No messing with shredded coconut is nice.

NRS

Coconut Extract.jpg

For a 5 gallon batch, I toast 1 lb of unsweetened coconut at 325 till lightly golden brown (re-spreading frequently), then toss onto secondary just like a dry hop for a week. Fantastic back-tongue taste.

I would use the extract. Coconut has oil which could affect head retention.

No offense to previous posts, but liquid extracts add a 'manufactured' taste that is very discernible from natural/raw ingredients. I have tried both and natural/raw ingredients, in my non-scientific opinion, are just better. The extra effort will definitely be rewarded in the final product. I have had 0 issues with oils and head retention in using real coconut that was store bought. I have a chocolate coconut porter that is simply fantastic with plenty of head retention.

For a 5 gallon batch, I toast 1 lb of unsweetened coconut at 325 till lightly golden brown (re-spreading frequently), then toss onto secondary just like a dry hop for a week. Fantastic back-tongue taste.

Agree 100%. I did this, ended up with a ribbon at the Denver County Fair, and still tasting great with nice coconut flavor (and solid head retention) almost a year after brewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back