Coconut Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed up a five gallon batch of coconut porter a few days ago, just wondering if anyone knew anything about them. They're fairly new to me, so any comments would be appreciated...

I'm not sure how you got the coconut taste, but oil tends to kill head retention. You might want to be careful there. That is unless you don't care about head retention.

Tell me more. Did you use some form of extracted flavoring, or are you using real fruit? Just what exactly is a coconut porter? I am assuming it finishes slightly sweeter than a "standard" porter. I would love to know more about this recipe, and the processes you used to make it.

Jz has a good base beer brown porter in the brewing classic styles that worked well for me. Coconut rum porter/ v bourbon porter. The brown porter is a sweeter less roasty then porter/ stout.

a guy in our brew club does a roasted coconut porter and just a coconut porter. both are really good and he uses shredded coconut i believe. I do not remember how much.

agreed, shredded coconut does the trick. Can't remember what the exact amounts were, but I had a coconut porter at NCHF that was really good. One thing to note, the big coconut nose/flavor fades very quickly - so you'll be left with just a regular ol' porter after a few weeks.

I just started out with my basic porter recipe, I like mine a little more sweeter than most, so not your "standard porter" but I added a whole coconuts worth of flesh shredded and toasted in the last five minutes of the boil. Then I'm adding the same amount in dry hop fashion then I'll probably add maybe half of my normal amount AT&T kegging. The number one worry I have overall is not being able smell the awesome coconut aroma so I'm hoping all these additions of coconut should do the trick.. Let me know if anyone has some advice!

Maui brewing does a really nice coconut porter.

Funny you mention that because I just had one of these last night:

Kona_Koko_Brown.jpg

Koko brown ale was okay. Good coconut flavor. No coconut aroma.

Maui coconut porter was probably a better beer, but the coconut flavor didn't shine through as much for me.

I suggest a whirlpool with shredded toasted coconut and then a "drynut" with toasted coconut chunks.

Koko brown is one of my favorite coconut beers. FWIW though, it is from kona brewing not Maui brewing which makes a coconut porter which is also pretty good.

As far as procedure, I roast a bag (I believe 12oz) of flaked UNSWEETENED coconut in the oven at 350 until golden brown (about 20 min). For head retention you can add 8oz Dextrine(carapils) or about the same of flaked oats.

I've done both coconut porters and coconut brown ales. Best results came from toasted coconut in the secondary for 10 days - big flavor and aroma.

I've done both coconut porters and coconut brown ales. Best results came from toasted coconut in the secondary for 10 days - big flavor and aroma.

Approximately how much by weight would I need for 5 gallons? Are you talking toasted (shredded) coconut? Do you toast it yourself in the oven?

I'm interested in doing a coconut porter.

Forgot to mention it above, I do not add my coconut until secondary also and have left it there for 2 weeks before. I treat coconut like some of the other volatile additions that tend to fade in flavor with heat and time so I do not boil it. Since there does seem to be some fermentable sugars in coconut, two weeks gives the yeast enough time to consume those sugars and settle back out. Two weeks is probably more time than is needed but I've never seen any ill effects from it.

I don't really have anything useful to add here. But as an aside, it gave me a chance to go find one of my favorite youtube brewing vids.

Semi-related quote from that vid:
"And I guess I sort of dry hopped it. Because well, I let it ferment with the coconut in it...I dry coconut-ed it. Because I didn't use any hops, I added coconut...So coconut ale...Hmm, I wonder what that will taste like?".

If you've got time to burn, well worth it to check out the first video in this thread. I just laughed out loud about 10 times at work, making a fool out of myself. Can't help it.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/mr-beer-goes-horribly-wrong-291541/

Latest posts

Back