Coconut Milk DIPA - I have clues, but need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Crispyvelo Looking to make this, 3gal batch. I don't have most of the hops you used, but I have a lot of others that I think would work well. Considering a combo of El Dorado, Idaho 7, and Green Machine, with CTZ for bittering. Thoughts?
I think that should work well. It'll be a bit different, but sounds like a good combination of hops to me. Please let us know how it goes!

Back at it with an East Coast version - fermenting with Imperial A38 "Juice". Grain bill was 14lbs of Maris Otter and 2 lbs of Flaked Oats.

Attachments

• IMG_2763.JPG
    IMG_2763.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Following, and a question...

This sounds like a fun brew to try.

I'm not sure if I want to do it as a double ipa though, or a more standard,say,6%abv.

Any input in, if I reduce the grain bill to lower the og aiming for about 6% abv, would the flavours go out of balance? If so, any suggestions on changes?

I may just leave it alone and do the recipe as a double ipa... Just considering.

@Crispyvelo , sorry if this was already asked... when are you adding your coconut?

Recipe says treat it as a 10 day dryhop, today is day 5 of primary for me, so if I want to package after about 2 weeks, I should be thinking about adding the coconut and first dryhop now... but I still have signs of slow fermentation... should I go ahead and add the coconut, or would you suggest I wait for a while?

I'm looking toward bottling my attempt at this on Sunday.

Looks like it's settled at 1.013... which bothered me as according to my recipe in Beersmith it should have stopped around 1.017... but then I re-read the OP's recipe post and see his ending around 1.012, so it appears I'm on the money...and it's just Beersmith estimating wrong for me!

Just wanted to update my journey through this brew.

I bottled last Sunday, fg was 1.013.

Bottling went well, quick and easy... Or so I thought. While cleaning up I realized I had accidentally "primed" with Lactose! Doh!!

So, I uncapped all the bottles and reprimed with carefully measured doses of dextrose (you can believe i checked that label 5 times lol) and recapped.

I am impatient so I'll be trying my tester bottle (I always use one plastic pop bottle to monitor carbonation, and it's hard now) tonight or tomorrow.

In the end it might be even better than planned as I was hoping the fg would end higher... And I accidentally back sweetened it a couple gravity points. Lol

The early sample is just "OK".

The coconut is stronger than I anticipated, and the boozyness is a little much.

I think both issues will improve with proper conditioning time and full carbonation.

Hello. Some minor chiming in here as this is one of my favorite beers of all time and I will definitely be trying to make it soon..

1) The color and haziness in the initial video is a lot lot different than the FW one. I'm not sure exactly what they do but I think that's a big part of the magic

2) I have had this for years and in my opinion the earlier versions were the best (with the galaxy, Citra, mandarina hops) even though last year's was still good I was more floored by the first batch.

Back