Cocoa color?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyClay

Reaction score
I just started an experimental batch of chocolate raspberry wine. I came up with the recipe based on the chocolate strawberry recipe I found on this forum. Anyway, the recipe calls for cocoa powder which, of course, made the must a chocolate color. Will that color drop out and leave the red color when it clears? Also does it take a longer than usual time to clear? I'm hoping it will be ready to drink by next Christmas.

As a former chef, I'll tell you that like coffee, cocoa powder needs to be stirred into boiling water in order to bring out the full flavor.
Unfortunately, I cannot answer your question about color.

As a former chef, I'll tell you that like coffee, cocoa powder needs to be stirred into boiling water in order to bring out the full flavor.
Unfortunately, I cannot answer your question about color.

I did dissolve the sugar and cocoa in near boiling water. Probably 180 - 200 degrees. Pretty much made a gallon of hot chocolate.

Well, my chocolate mead is almost 13 months old and still very murky. I made a chocolate cherry with cocoa nibs and it's nearly clear in 3 months. I think cocoa powder takes FOREVER to clear.

Well, my chocolate mead is almost 13 months old and still very murky. I made a chocolate cherry with cocoa nibs and it's nearly clear in 3 months. I think cocoa powder takes FOREVER to clear.

Have you used clearing agents or are you letting it go naturally?

Back