Co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bel

Reaction score
This might be a really dumb question but I need some help. My co2 tank(5#) a
Has been on for a week at 8 pounds. I have one home brew and one comercial on tap. I force carved the home brew at 30 psi for ten minutes. The tank is in the kegerator at 34 degrees. The gauge is reading in the red. I just had the tank filled before I legged. No leaks, I checked with soap test. Should I be shutting tank off when I'm not using the kegs?

By the way, I'm a rookie to home brewing and theoretical obviously kegging. Thanks in advance

The high pressure gauge doesn't show how much gas you have left, it only shows the vapor pressure of the CO2, which is temperature dependent. It's in the red because you have the tank stored at 34°. The only way to know how much gas you have left is to take the tank out, weigh it, and subtract the tare weight of the tank. As long as you've checked every connection thoroughly for leaks, there's no reason to think that you're running out of gas. There's also no need to shut the tank off when you're not pouring beer.

Thanks a lot. Now I can drink my beer with no stress tonight. First ever home brew( BB iPa) on tap and tastes great. Thanks again

Back