co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i got a bottle of carbon dioxide of my mate is it co2 its is food grade for my keg set up

That's... that's not even a sentence.

I'm afraid you are going to have to put your words in a bit more of a making-some-sense order. As it stands now, your post is completely unreadable.

Wow. I haven't had anywhere near enough to drink for that to make sense.
That's awesome.

[i got a bottle of carbon dioxide off my mate it is co2 is it food grade for my keg set upI][/I]
All bottles that are straight CO2, no welding mixes, are the same (unless a special mix was ordered). I've been told that the ones used for dispensing soda have a dip tube but have never followed up on that. If that is what you're asking, it will be fine. Luck - Dwain

:drunk: mate of mine gave me a bottle of carbon dioxide he had it is food grade
i was wondering if i could use it for my keg system
or does it have to be co2 for kegging

to many beers last night :rockin:

...I've been told that the ones used for dispensing soda have a dip tube ...

No. A tank with a dip tube, typically a larger tank, might be used to refill smaller tanks but not for dispensing soda or beer. A dip tube will cause liquid co2 to come out of the tank (from the bottom) rather than the gaseous co2 (from the headspace) that we want. I have read somewhere that the "beverage grade" tanks should be glass lined so that if there did happen to be back flow of liquid into the tank it would not rust. However most of us, including myself, use regular steel or aluminum tanks.

Thanks camiller, didn't know that about a dip tube. Incidentally, a Lady that works at a welding supply place told me the soda bottles had a dip tube. I thought O2 was just a diatomic gas with 2 Oxygen molecules and that it didn't become an oxide until it bonded with some other molecule. Oh well - Dwain

Thanks camiller, didn't know that about a dip tube. Incidentally, a Lady that works at a welding supply place told me the soda bottles had a dip tube. I thought O2 was just a diatomic gas with 2 Oxygen molecules and that it didn't become an oxide until it bonded with some other molecule. Oh well - Dwain

:) Oh if you want to be technical sure it's not an oxide until it oxidizes something. :cross: That not withstanding the OP seemed to be implying a difference between carbon dioxide and co2, was just trying to clarify they are the same thing.

As far as the "soda bottle" perhaps she was talking about a seltzer bottle? At any rate if you let liquid co2 come out of the bottle into your regulator, where it will warm and become gaseous rather rapidly, your not going to be happy.

Fixed (I think):

:drunk: A mate of mine gave me a bottle of carbon dioxide. He (said?) it is "food grade".
I was wondering if I could use it for my keg system, or does it have to be "C02 for kegging"?

Too many beers last night. :rockin:

Should be fine...C02 is carbon dioxide.

Should be fine...C02 is carbon dioxide.

Yup. welding co2 is the same as food co2. You can use it for kegging. The only other co2 is medical grade, which you're not likely to have.

As for the "dip tube". Soda kegs have dip tubes for the liquid out line. The gas in line on the keg is a short stub to only fill the headspace with gas.

:)
At any rate if you let liquid co2 come out of the bottle into your regulator, where it will warm and become gaseous rather rapidly, your not going to be happy.

I think there must be a lot of liquid co2 in cabbage. When I eat it it warms and becomes gaseous rather rapidly, and neither myself, nor anyone else in the room seems to be very happy. :)

camiller,
sorry. I was being a smart a$$. I felt like the first couple of responses were clowning the new guy/guyette. I knew what you meant and I'm sure the OP did, also. I would hate to see a new member turned off for asking a question. You didn't but you were the last responder. Again, sorry. - Dwain

Wow, I'm impressed. I need to work on my druck comprehension. I read that first post and had no idea what the F... it was about.
Interesting thread though.

Back