CO2 Wine opener, for priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echotraveler

Reaction score
Hey guys, Last night at a friends house I
found a CO2 Wine opener. Consisted of a needdle that infects co2 into wine bottles. So i was thinking can inject co2 with this for forced carb?

we pumped some co2 into the served beer and it enhanced the beer a lot...beore it was a bit more watery, after the beer felt inflated bigger.

The CO2 on those things is supposed to provide enough pressure to remove the cork of a wine bottle. It's not meant to introduce CO2 to wine or beer.

it would rock to have a preassure gage! lol

whats the ghetto way for force carbing? i always look at my co2 bicycle pump, it would rock if i could force carb with such a small canister of CO2

The ghetto way is to do whip-its and blow it into your beer with a straw :rockin:

I dunno, I'll have to defer to someone else's judgment on this one.

Force carbonating anything is a function of pressure and temperature. Assuming you want to carbonate to 2.5 volumes at room temperature (70*F), you'd have to pressurize a bottle of beer with CO2 to 28.8 psi. The trick is that as CO2 gets absorbed into the beer the pressure goes down, so you must continually supply CO2 into the bottle until everything is equalized (in other words, until the beer is at 2.5 volumes).

With the wine opener, you have no way of controlling the pressure. I also doubt it could adequately keep a bottle sealed at 28.8 psi - the wine opener would probably pop off. Even if it wouldn't pop off, you'd have to keep the wine opener on one bottle and make sure the pressure stayed at 28.8 psi. True, you could over-pressurize the bottle, but then the bottle would probably explode.

Really, the cheapest way of doing carbonating is priming with sugar and letting the yeast do it for you. Corn sugar is cheaper per pound than pure CO2.

Isn't that meant to penetrate a cork? Unless you're doing Belgians, how the heck would you do it? I mean were you thinking about drilling a hole in the metal crown cap?

we pumped some co2 into the served beer and it enhanced the beer a lot...beore it was a bit more watery, after the beer felt inflated bigger.

just in the opened glass of beer?

you're letting your eyes fool you. shooting CO2 into a glass of beer isn't adding any CO2 to solution. whipping up head, sure. Carbing? no.

Back